16 replies to this topic

#11 Monteverdi

Monteverdi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:15 AM

Billy's long monologue from Carousel is an obvious choice.....though are we referring to a monologue as sung or spoken......a bit of both in this piece.
Being alive from Company.

#12 bradleyconnor

bradleyconnor

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:37 AM

A spoken piece
Musicals/Plays seen -
2011 - The WIZ (Leeds)
2012 - Two (Manchester), Chicago UK Tour (Manchester), Grease UK Tour (Manchester), Blood Brothers UK Tour (Manchester)
2013 - Billy Elliot (London) x2, Shrek The Musical (London), Matilda (London), Wicked (London), Hairspray UK Tour (Leeds), Priscilla Queen of The Dessert UK Tour (Bradford)
2014 - Les Miserables (London), I Cant Sing! (London)

#13 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, film, travel, reading, walking

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:47 AM

If not Sondheim's Assassins, may I suggest Blood Brothers?
Don't we get to be happy? At some point down the line, don't we get to relax without some new tsuris to push me yet further from you!

Who dare tell the lambs in Spring what fate the later season brings?

#14 Michael H

Michael H

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:25 PM

Yes, it's very rare to get any kind of extended non-singing monologues in a musical, for the reasons stated above.  The Samuel Byck scenes in Assassins are the most obvious ones, which are alluded to above.  Otherwise the vast majority of musicals have very quick dialogue between several people.  You might be able to get away with some of the Luther Billis or Brackett bits in South Pacific, if you do away with some of the interjections.

Good luck.
Me is directing again - Private Peaceful at the Charles Cryer Theatre, Carshalton, 23 to 26 April 2014.

#15 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:30 AM

A chorus line has Pauls big monologue.
How long does it need to be? Are you after something dramatic or comedic?

#16 Eastender

Eastender

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:39 AM

Roxy in Chicago - lead up to the song Roxy is all spoken - if you dont mind being a tart.

#17 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1221 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:55 PM

Pauls monologue in A Chorus Line is the only monologue in a musical which springs to mind. Better either to do a monologue from a straight play or if you wanted to be different and adventurous you could speak the lyrics of a song from a show (which are often kind of monologues of internal thoughts). But stick with a character that is of similar age to yourself if possible. The best of luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users