Anyone going to the first preview?

#2 sushisamba

sushisamba

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:40 PM

Saw the second preview this evening and loved it after not really knowing what to expect. Should have guessed it would be a typically zingy Noel Coward play.

I think the best word to describe it is simply 'fun'. Anna Chancellor and Toby Stephens give it their absolute all and are damn funny in the process (I think I caught Stephens corpsing towards the end, and it didn't seem intentional).

Supporting cast good too and nice set. Wasn't completely full, I hope this gets some buzz after press night.

#3 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:15 AM

I must see this....  I do like to see a mediocre new west end production of private lives every six months

#4 jean_hunt

jean_hunt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:29 PM

Really looking forward to this one. Saw a production of this play at my then local theatre several years ago and found it very funny. I think Anna Chancellor is wonderful, and having seen Toby Stephens in a few TV productions - including Vexed - it seems like he'll have no trouble finding the humour in it either. Strange the theatre shouldn't be completely full - I looked into booking online for a preview but it seemed pretty booked up, so in the end I plumped for a date in August when I could get a much better seat for my money.

#5 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1305 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:38 AM

Does the west end really need this do soon after the (lacklustre) Kim Cattral one? I'm not so sure.

#6 Parsley

Parsley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:48 PM

View PostMrBarnaby, on 30 June 2013 - 07:38 AM, said:

Does the west end really need this do soon after the (lacklustre) Kim Cattral one? I'm not so sure.

Yes

The same lacklustre Kim "Cattral" one that was a massive box office success

The same one that was over 3 years ago "so soon"

And the same one that was critically acclaimed

#7 RH1234

RH1234

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:02 PM

^ The Kim Cattrall productions was not a massive box office success... it closed earlier than planned. I do think this production has better marketing - an infinitely more modern and enticing poster.

#8 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:13 PM

The Cattrall production was, in fact, a big success in the West End - it was very hard to get tickets for it as I well remember.  It was such a success that they took it to New York where it did indeed close early.  There, not here.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#9 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1305 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:53 PM

When I saw the Kim Cartrall one 3 weeks of so into the run, it was half empty and it did indeed close early so maybe get your facts right.

Yes it was well reviewed, but I and the 3 friends I went with all found it pretty woeful.

#10 Parsley

Parsley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:13 PM

As fas as I recall it did not close early in the west end

It closed on May 1st 2010 (as planned to)

However, I would be interested in the evidence to the contrary if I am mistaken (which is unlikely)

And on Broadway it did indeed close early

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users