#41 RedRose

RedRose

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:30 PM

View Postwickedgrin, on 08 August 2013 - 12:46 AM, said:

Not especially early in the week I wouldn't have thought! I turned up at 11.00 and got a day seat. Note my earlier post about the stage being VERY high! But amazing value for £10!

My friend arrived 9:15 today and was 3rd in line.
King Lear (NT), Twelve Angry Men (Garrick),  Mojo (Harold Pinter), Coriolanus (2x, Donmar), Henry V (Noel Coward), Strangers on a Train (Gielgud), Fortunes Fool (Old Vic), Punchdrunk's The Drowned Man (Temple Studios), Jeeves and Wooster (Duke of York's), 1984 (Almeida), Red Velvet (Tricycle), Bring up the Bodies (Swan), Wolf Hall (Swan), The Mistress Contract (Royal Court), Versailles (Donmar), Blithe Spirit (Guilgud), Jane Eyre (Bristol Old Vic)

#42 RH1234

RH1234

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:03 PM

This was brilliant I thought! My first Private Lives (and first Coward play in fact), so can't compare - but can't imagine a better production. From just watching a few old YouTube clips of the play, you can see that the approach to Coward's language in this production is very different - it felt so natural, fresh and modern, not period. Both leads were great, though Anna Chancellor was particularly extraordinary... Olivier nomination? Great set too, hugely detailed and very stylish.

I was in Row B day seats for 10 (asked for Row N ones, was told there weren't any). Yes the stage is very high, but actually you don't miss too much at all - and if you are in the middle of the row, you are so close to the leads in one scene, and seeing their acting up close like that more than made up for any half lost moments in my opinion. So I would still recommend row B - a bargain.

#43 EmiCardiff

EmiCardiff

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:13 AM

Has anyone seen this from the restricted view side seats in the dress circle? are they ok/how much do you miss?

thanks
Blog with occasional reviews: http://fixedpointint...blogspot.co.uk/

Twitter with occasional theatre reviews and general nerdiness: @EmiGarside

#44 theatremonkey.com

theatremonkey.com

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:03 PM

The first act is played forward on a really high set, so you'll feel nearly level with the cast and won't miss anything, I'd say. Acts 2 and 3 are in a deeper set. You do have to lean to see to the back of the stage nearest to you, but nothing much happens there. The "high numbers" side I think is better as you can see over to the side where a deal of the playing takes place in act 3.

#45 EmiCardiff

EmiCardiff

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:58 AM

Thanks very much :) can't get down to London early enough to day seat it so those look like a good option.
Blog with occasional reviews: http://fixedpointint...blogspot.co.uk/

Twitter with occasional theatre reviews and general nerdiness: @EmiGarside

#46 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:24 PM

Anyone day seated on a Saturday yet?
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#47 kjb

kjb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:29 PM

Kevin - I was going to but slept in and got there at 11am by which time they had, of course, at all gone.

I got a back of stalls seat for the matinee for 39. There were lots of empty seats though and I loved forward about 8 rows.

I enjoyed it a lot, but I think overall I preferred the Catrall/Macfadyn version from a few years ago. That was my first Private Lives though - and maybe it's a case that your first is always the one you prefer as the element of surprise is gone for future versions?  I think the fight scene was better a few years ago - ice down the back of a neck, and a fish tank that spouted a leak anyone? And Simon Paisley Day was a perfect Victor I think.

#48 Alf

Alf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:16 PM

Just wonderful.
My occasionally neglected theatre blog: http://thegreatestof...blogspot.co.uk/
Latest post: Review: 'Blithe Spirit' at the Gielgud Theatre: http://thegreatestof...theatre_10.html

#49 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:45 PM

Do you reckon that by 12ish tomorrow (the final matinee) there'll still be day tickets?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users