48 replies to this topic

#11 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2521 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:56 PM

The first sentence of this WoS news item of 30 Apr 2010 strongly supports Parsley in favour of MrBarnaby: http://www.whatsonst...-oct_13532.html

#12 vickster51

vickster51

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:32 PM

I loved this in Chichester last year and thought it was still wonderful on Monday night. All 4 actors are very good but it's Toby Stephens and Anna Chancellor that make this production as brilliant as it is. Definitely still recommended by me.

#13 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1214 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:25 AM

Private Lives is a terrific play - one of Cowards best. However, as it is revived so frequently and is SO well known a revival totally stands or falls in the two central performances. I am looking forward to seeing this.

#14 RedRose

RedRose

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:06 PM

It has transferred excellently. Very similar to Chichester although a little sexier and camper. It's pure joy and entertainment, a lot of laughing through the whole play, the cast is still absolutely fantastic! I watched it twice last week. Once for a Time Out Tenner in row N middle and I day seated for it for the Saturday evening (also in row N, further on the side). An absolute bargain! Super seats! First row is highly restricted because of the staging for act 1, so they didn't sell the tickets there. I arrived at 9:20, 6 people in front of me.
King Lear (NT), Twelve Angry Men (Garrick),  Mojo (Harold Pinter), Coriolanus (2x, Donmar), Henry V (Noel Coward), Strangers on a Train (Gielgud), Fortunes Fool (Old Vic), Punchdrunk's The Drowned Man (Temple Studios), Jeeves and Wooster (Duke of York's), 1984 (Almeida), Red Velvet (Tricycle), Bring up the Bodies (Swan), Wolf Hall (Swan), The Mistress Contract (Royal Court), Versailles (Donmar), Blithe Spirit (Guilgud), Jane Eyre (Bristol Old Vic)

#15 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:21 PM

Excellent. I've seen a few of these and this one rates very highly if not the best. All four actors well on top of game and set good. A few empty seats in the stalls. The heat?

#16 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:01 PM

View PostLynette, on 13 July 2013 - 07:21 PM, said:

Excellent. I've seen a few of these and this one rates very highly if not the best. All four actors well on top of game and set good. A few empty seats in the stalls. The heat?

Theatres are air conditioned.  Why would you not go to the theatre on a day like today?

#17 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1387 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:06 PM

View PostNicholas, on 13 July 2013 - 11:01 PM, said:

Theatres are air conditioned.  Why would you not go to the theatre on a day like today?

Not all are, Drury Lane isn't as ALW tried to find out how much it would cost to install and because its grade I it was too expensive.

#18 theatreliker

theatreliker

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:22 PM

Will this extend? Otherwise wondering what's at the Gielgud after this?
2014 theatre: Blithe Spirit (Gielgud)  Booked: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Savoy)  Waterbabies (Curve)  View from the Bridge (Young Vic)  Birdland (Royal Court).

#19 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1387 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:11 AM

View Posttheatreliker, on 13 July 2013 - 11:22 PM, said:

Will this extend? Otherwise wondering what's at the Gielgud after this?

Barnum is meant to be transferring from Chichester after Privates Lives finishes in September.

#20 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3745 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:04 AM

View PostJon, on 13 July 2013 - 11:06 PM, said:

Drury Lane isn't as ALW tried to find out how much it would cost to install and because its grade I it was too expensive.

Was nice and cool when I went recently- and it was good 25C outside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users