#21 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:23 AM

View PostNicholas, on 13 July 2013 - 11:01 PM, said:

Theatres are air conditioned.  Why would you not go to the theatre on a day like today?

I was thinking more psychological like...if you are around and about in London on a hot day, then outside treats would beckon, something like the south Bank, by the River etc. you wouldn't feel like ducking into a dark foyer.

#22 MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:08 PM

So is the Gieguld airconditioned? Have a matinee ticket this week and not sure I can face the train journey and a hot theatre.

#23 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1780 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:16 PM

Yes, that's rubbish - went to Drury Lane on Saturday (31 degrees) and it was nice and cool.

#24 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1311 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:46 PM

Honoured Guest- I won't worry too much about your investigative journalism there. The number of times articles say something is sold out when it isn't are 10 a penny. It's like a half empty theatre putting a House Full sign outside once the curtains up to fool passers by its doing well.

#25 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:37 PM

Saw this Friday evening from a £10 day seat in row B. Beware the stage is very high with a revolve and the balconies in the first scene are higher still. But terrific value none the less. Two hours playing time including interval flew by.

A stylish ( great set ) pacey production with a great fight at the end of act one ( actually act two of the play) where sparks literally flew as did bits of china over the front rows! Condensing acts one and two together of a three act play ( so beautifully constructed in three acts) leaves a very short second act in this production.

A great cast, a good performance from Toby Stephens but the play was stolen for me by Anna Chancellor who constantly drew the eye with a terrific, volatile performance which demonstrated how sexy and maddening Amanda was to Elliot. There love making and rows were equally convincing! This play simply stands or falls by its two leads and here they completely carried the show.

The theatre looked packed by the way and normally I never spot anyone in the audience like other people do, but on this occasion I was thrilled to almost bump into Liza Minnelli.

#26 Kleistocene

Kleistocene

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:03 PM

What time do you need to turn up to get a dayseat, would you reckon?  I'm thinking of trying for next Saturday evening.

#27 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:49 PM

I turned up at midday on Friday and got a day seat in row B. But as I said before, great value but the stage is VERY high!

#28 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3760 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:51 PM

You can book front row for £10 online (Delfont Mackintosh), but I imagine that's even worse.
There are also dayseats  in row N stalls which I guess is much better.

#29 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:10 PM

Row A has no seats in the middle as the stage revolve protrudes. So the seats in row A are just at the sides and frankly the view must be severely restricted. Day seats I was told were in row B which believe me is close enough! I love front row day seats but I cannot remember a stage being so high.

#30 pio231

pio231

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:18 PM

I saw this earlier in the week. I was seated in Row C I didn't realise how close and high the stage was, I had to crick back my neck to see the balcony scene. It was an enjoyable play, although I cringed slightly at the ' certain women should be struck regularly, like gongs' part it made me think of Charles Saatchi. Nevertheless, it was a good play and Toby and Anna have good chemistry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users