53 replies to this topic

#31 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:48 PM

If you want to decode more then you might want to look at the following - http://templestudios...r.com/resources - the Facebook spoiler group is by far the most comprehensive analysis and links also to many of the articles written online.

It will probably be a pretty physical experience for people to get the most out of the narrative and you have to be on your toes and fit to keep up; following performers is only necessary if you want to have a narrative throughline though (it's also the most emotional way of experiencing it), otherwise you have the fragmentary dreamlike experience you allude to (which is fine). You can play the game differently, wandering around steadily in the space, but that's more for people interested in design.

Crash of the Elysium was a kid's show really, like a nice, not very scary, theme ride (with added Matt Smith), a few things stayed with me but it was really quite simplistic. It Felt Like a Kiss, the collaboration with Adam Curtis in Manchester a few years ago, was stronger but not particularly subtle. Their best linear show, in my opinion, was the most recent, 'The Borough' based on the same poem as Britten's opera 'Peter Grimes', an audio tour with unexpected performances as part of it. The script (by Jack Thorne) had all sorts of different levels which provided that extra richness.

I prefer the ludic/gameplay nature of their biggest shows personally, the more challenging to decode the better (lots more people like that via the above link). It's also a challenge to the FOMO (fear of missing out, that is), as you can't see or get everything; wondering if you should be somewhere else, or where someone else is. You aren't supposed to communicate, use phones etc for that reason. Sadly, I've seen at least one person desperately trying to text someone else because they got split up; theyre just doomed to failure I'm afraid.

Proper spoilers below, so even though this is a spoiler thread don't look if you don't want to know -

Spoiler

Which Edinburgh experiences have you done? You Once Said Yes was/is great although What Remains by Grid Iron was sadly undeveloped. I'm off to Edinburgh in a few days and the best new immersive show there is Our Glass House which is in London in November (booking via Camden People's Theatre).

#32 Michael H

Michael H

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:16 PM

Thanks, Cardinal.

All very different, but in Edinburgh I've been to more of a comedy immersive experience Back To School in 2012 (you can see me in their promotional video, as they filmed it while I was on it), plus David Leddy's Sub Rosa in 2010 or 2011(more of a promenade performance in groups through the Hill Street Theatre late at night), and The Paint Show back in 2003.

Not done anything quite like The Drowned Man before.
Me is directing again - Private Peaceful at the Charles Cryer Theatre, Carshalton, 23 to 26 April 2014.

#33 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:25 PM

View PostMichael H, on 14 August 2013 - 11:16 PM, said:

Thanks, Cardinal.

All very different, but in Edinburgh I've been to more of a comedy immersive experience Back To School in 2012 (you can see me in their promotional video, as they filmed it while I was on it), plus David Leddy's Sub Rosa in 2010 or 2011(more of a promenade performance in groups through the Hill Street Theatre late at night), and The Paint Show back in 2003.

Not done anything quite like The Drowned Man before.

Ah. yes, Sub Rosa. Finished at something gone 1am if I recall when I saw it. I like David Leddy as a writer, his audio walk piece. Susurrus, which I took in at (I think) Holland Park was lovely.

#34 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:31 PM

This thread seems to have gone very quiet. I wonder whether the production is still being revised and adjusted, and whether the same devotees are still attending over and over again.

#35 DrP

DrP

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:04 PM

Is this still on? So much for rushing to grab tickets on the first day of sale...!

#36 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:13 PM

View PostDrP, on 30 October 2013 - 06:04 PM, said:

Is this still on? So much for rushing to grab tickets on the first day of sale...!

Tonight has limited availability and 5 December is "Sold Out". Otherwise, take your pick for two further months until Mon 30 Dec.

#37 dallardice

dallardice

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:25 PM

According to a cast member reported on the Facebook group, they are currently considering whether to extend and the numbers are good but not quite high enough to justify extending.

#38 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:50 AM

All the talk is on facebook or on blogs, twitter etc.. I could give you a compete rundown of pretty much everything that happens but the Facebook spoilers group is best for that, just search it out. The building is being taken up for crossrail soon (getting round Paddington Station is a nightmare now with the work they are doing). It may be able to extend a month or so but not much more than that.

Punchdrunk productions always change organically, there are new characters for example, and there was an influx of new cast members from October when the first booking period was up whose take on the roles is different. Still, it's going to have had by far the biggest UK audience of any of their shows by December although economically it's crazy, the high running costs meaning they can never make any money (forty cast members alternating for a start). I know of people who have been more than twenty times (same with Sleep No More where some people are over fifty performances by now), it's one of those shows where there is a sizeable fanbase that it can rely on (850 on the facebook spoilers group alone).

https://twitter.com/...typd&f=realtime
https://www.facebook...97355756952502/
A couple of tumblrs from a number of them, both nicely written -
http://snoopy1239.tumblr.com/
http://throwtherose.tumblr.com/

#39 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:02 PM

Does anyone know if this is actually ending in April or if it's likely to extend again? I know there were rumours of it running till the end of this year but they went quiet

#40 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:35 PM

Crossrail were supposed to take the venue but they are running late (surprise, surprise). As such the company have got planning permission to run to December 31st and have just held auditions for performers to be contracted until September.

They also now have the production company that runs 'Sleep No More' in New York running things, one of their methods is to keep extending a week or so at a time and they are now doing the same here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users