53 replies to this topic

#11 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:00 PM

Second go - should have been yesterday but it was cancelled.

One small set change - the pool has a decorated barrier round it, shame, I would have liked to taken a dip sometime.

Anyway, ladies and gentlemen, I think we have 'Day of the Locust' in the house. I followed a woman who I'd noticed in the previous trip in a sleazy audition for the movie execs. I followed her story and she was desperate to get into movies, occasionally visited by Daddy who plays a mean ukelele. Then she got called Miss Greener - result - they are two characters from 'The Day of the Locust', will need to look more to see if I can find any other links. Much of her dance is, to be frank, really erotically charged stuff, I enjoyed the loop!

After that I knew a point where she had observed Marie and Woyzeck (the car dance) and so followed Marie (called, obviously, Mary here) through her loop, a particularly noteworthy dance fo her outside the church after her rumpy-pumpy with the 'Drum Major' outside the bar. As she is killed and disappeared I latched onto the Woyzeck (this is all the 'western' version) and another noteworthy dance I saw here (the table polishing one, as I shall call it) which is the parallel to Andres and Woyzeck on the hill and Woyzeck hearing voices. Really well done dance and used the table excellently. This Woyzeck's job is clearly menial work, cleaning and doing odd jobs at the studios. Finally I followed the male 'Marie' whose job is a screenwriter. Being such he was obviously appreciative of any attention and his way with the ladies was pretty apparent, staying with him meant that I was in a place to realise that the opening of the finale is the 'wrap' party.

For David Lynch fans, there's a musical 'Pink Room' reference again if your ears are open.

Audience were really good, there were a few 'tossers' as someone described them at the second preview as I was at - talkers, non-mask wearers etc - so maybe I got lucky this time but the audience were quiet, moved well (generally) and no phones and such. Brilliant in fact.

So, big discovery is the Day of the Locust being very much more integrated than I thought. I must watch the movie now. Just checking it and I saw a name plate in an office for another character from it - Claude Estee, the screenwriter, maybe he's in it.

#12 Parsley

Parsley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:57 PM

I thought this was truly awful, having just returned from it now (and missed Coronation Street double bill)

Fortunately am having moussaka for dinner, which makes up for almost anything.

What I find genuinely shocking, is that many people are going to pay £50 to see a show that is way more under developed and scantily designed that any other Punchdrunk show I have ever seen.

With this and the last pitiful offering they managed (Duchess of Malfi) I really think they have lost the skill of creating the magic they were (once) capable of.

There are whole swathes of space here that have nothing in them at all. Many of the sets are cheaply constructed (and I mean those other than the bits that were supposed to be the studios).

I think a lot of the blame lies with the choice of building (which has no character at all). When you compare how much the BAC (for example) offered, it was almost like a symbiosis with the show itself.

You can always watch the pretentious excuse (or chase after the mute actors with a stampede of other unlucky people) "choreography' that Maxine Doyle seems to offer up....totally inane and lame.

I really have nothing to recommend this, it fails as a dance piece, as a site specific adventure, as a design project, as a play...on all levels.

I am open to all sorts of theatre and the company have not managed to meet any of their own and much-touted hype.

I would be really ashamed if I was charging people for this- perhaps a fiver or tenner at the most.

When I think I experienced Bum Bum train for £15, it really makes me laugh.

On a massive plus point the building has excellent mobile and 3G coverage so I found a comfy sofa (in the woods next to the caravans) and caught up on loads of e mails.

I also think Punchdrunk might benefit from a bit of dialogue in their shows. It would alleviate the boredom no end.

#13 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:22 PM

This is the spoiler thread.

You are in the wrong place (which ironically is where you appeared to be when at the show as well!)

You need to put it here instead  http://forum.whatson...an/page__st__20

#14 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:14 PM

rather patronising....

#15 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:20 PM

For someone who admits to using a phone during a performance no rebuke is too strong...

#16 pepem

pepem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:03 PM

No you ARE patronising.  We get it you love it and who cares where someone posts!  Get off your high horse.

#17 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:24 PM

View Postpepem, on 29 June 2013 - 06:03 PM, said:

No you ARE patronising.  We get it you love it and who cares where someone posts!  Get off your high horse.

People who are on their phone during a performance are the worst of the worst. If someone posts that they love it and so are on the phone throughout sending pictures I say exactly the same. Why would you want to let someone do that?

Maybe you don't look at the bad behaviour in the theatre thread but it's up to people who do care to step in and stop it, even if ushers don't seem to be bothered.

EDIT: I stopped someone happily taking photos of themself with a scene going on behind them; apparently someone else posted that someone else had done the same only for them to be told to 'go **** yourself' or something similar. It's, sadly, spreading.

#18 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:51 PM

For what it's worth I'm with the Cardinal on this one - 100 percent.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#19 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:05 PM

View Postmallardo, on 29 June 2013 - 06:51 PM, said:

For what it's worth I'm with the Cardinal on this one - 100 percent.

I actually think that the masks are a contributory factor here, it gives people an anonymity which they take advantage of. Far better, I would have thought, to let the audience not be masked . I think it would help in stopping those sad few who want to either show their excitement or boredom in destructive ways.

Anyway, this is the spoiler thread so, not from me, but from a comment on twitter - tunnels and an amulet - means nothing to me but will investigate.

#20 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:14 AM

Apparently some have seen Sleep No More over fifty times, I saw Faust and Masque of the Red Death about 6 times each over the year-ish long runs, Sleep No More three times (in Boston) and Duchess of Malfi a couple of times. Someone in the US on tumblr has already seen The Drowned Man four times on the bounce (they must be fit) and I know they've checked on here so hi (and I'm afraid I haven't got a clue how to use tumblr). So, this being my third time is going to be rapidly overtaken but I was taking advantage of preview prices and you get to see the changes made. Given that I've spent only as much for a West End premium ticket and I've had nine hours of show the economics are certainly pretty good. Anyway, what I saw that was new for me -

1) A dead horse; no, literally a dead horse.
2) The opening is changed, no sitting down, just straight in to get the masks and away you go.
3) followed the drum major in the Western section (for Punchdrunk regulars it was Vinicius Salles tonight) and he has an insane and wonderfully performed dance naked in the sand, really clever use of the sand (and it must get everywhere.....)
4) also followed Conor Doyle whose Hollywood side character is called Frankie, he's an aspiring actor who seems to parallel the Faye Greener character from the other side. His acting is compelling with probably the other best solo dance that I've seen (around the boardroom table).
5) Lots of characters played by different dancers tonight, it's a punishing show physically so no surprise there.
6) There were a lot of beeps in the Hollywood side on the second preview, they've all gone, were they used for timing?
7) There are one on ones, not for me though. It looks as though, as with previous shows this is going to grow organically throughout its run.
8) The dance is really a step up from any show of theirs that I've seen, a much greater variety and greater complexity, tonally there are even comic moments which is a first. I would hope that critics have seen that but I'm not sure that dance critics will be reviewing it.

The critics are likely do their worst though, many of them are getting on a bit, even more than me, and not really the target audience and, the way these things go, I suppose it's also the time in a company's life cycle which is ripe for 'the backlash' (as Andrew Haydon called it) . Could be wrong but snide comments from Coveney, Billington and so on recently suggest that's what they are aiming for. In the end it's ticket sales and audience that counts though.

Audience was fascinating, I had a break of ten minutes or so from the main action and I'm astonished at the number of people (and they are usually in pairs or groups) that were just wandering aimlessly, they look at an actor as they walk past them as though they are some sort of alien being and spend so much time making 'committee decisions' that it's too late if they do decide to follow them. These are also the ones causing pile ups of audience who get stuck behind them, would be nice if there was a way to split them up.

A woman in the audience was quite heavily pregnant and I also saw a guy on crutches. For a moment I thought I was at Lourdes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users