• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 drinkthehalo

drinkthehalo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:56 AM

Cardinal Pirelli, I'm enjoying your Drowned Man posts very much. So jealous that you live near enough for repeat visits to see it evolve. (I'm hoping to fly back from the US to see it again end of August.)

I wish they'd release a cast list so it would be easier to discuss the performers. Agree with you that Conor Doyle's Frankie was one of the highlights; he's an amazing actor and dancer.

I'm trying to remain mostly unspoiled but making a mental list of everyone I want to follow when I go back. Definitely the drum major from the male Woyzeck storyline and also his drag queen friend. And I totally missed that one of the characters was Faye Greener so have to find her as well. :)

And I will have to follow Frankie, William, and the Clown again - very curious what will change between the first previews and two months later...

#22 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:28 PM

Hi, yes it was your post I saw in my search for clues, rest assured that there are a number of people piecing things together, even if not online. There's a facebook spoiler group but I don't do facebook/blogs or anything so I don't know what's on there.

Feel free to repost anything I put here.

Anyway, the Faye Greener loop is a good one to follow, she's named in the voiceover just before the major dance number in the house/locker room (if that means anything to you). The drum major in the male Woyzeck story is the one with the naked sand dance, he's also accompanied by a mysterious masked figure for a part of it. Other actor names that I know include Kath Duggan as the 'sound girl' in the Hollywood story and Rob McNeill as the Doctor, others that I recognise but I'd need to check their names. Of course some of the roles are double cast so there might be others playing these parts at different times.

I'm sure you will have seen it by now but, as they did with Faust (and I do think that they are deliberately going back to that template), there's a brief synopsis given out at the start.

The confirmed character names from that are -

Version of Woyzeck - Wendy (Hollywood), William (Western)
Version of Marie - Marshall (Hollywood), Mary (Western)
Version of Drum Major - Dolores (Hollywood), Dwayne (Western), also characterised by the colour red, at times wearing a red dress or shirt.

Also -
I think there are also versions of Andres, Woyzeck's friend, on each side but I haven't caught their names.
Faye Greener (from Day of the Locust) (Western) appears to be be paralleled by Frankie (Hollywood), both have a short crossover scene to the other story.

So that's ten characters, given that there are 34 in total then, an attempt to try and fill in those gaps -

Hollywood - Studio Head (occasionally in wheelchair), his assistant (maybe, has steamy clinch with Frankie), Sound Girl, Mime, Magician, Dresser, woman who looks like a secretary, another woman who is with the assistant and Frankie after the House/Locker Room film who seems to have some power.

Western - Diner Girl, Barman, Harry Greener (with ukelele), I haven't seen this side as much so know less.

Either side? Drag Queen, Mysterious Cloaked and masked person, Security Guard on the gate that separates the two stories.

That still leaves about ten characters. Any ideas?

#23 StephenSparklemask

StephenSparklemask

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:05 PM

The friend of Woyzeck are Andy and Andrea.

The "magician" IS the drag queen. I don't know how magical he is, he mostly just yells at girls and rolls dice and stares at inkblots and looks sexy.

#24 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:44 AM

So glad I haven't booked for this. Admitting a paying audience to a vast building where they wander through sets and may or may not encounter performance fragments is ridiculous.

#25 killara

killara

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:26 PM

How many floors were there?  I got very disorientated!  The top one was all sand dunes, right?  The next one was the male storyline with the western set, the next floor was the Hollywood one, the bottom one was the bar/ scene where the finale happened right?

Which floor were the locker rooms/motels?

#26 Loopyjohn

Loopyjohn

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:12 PM

I know what you mean - it took me a long while to figure out the floors.  It didn't help that you are initially taken to a random floor, and it wasn't explained which floor that was.  I'm pretty sure it's 4 floors in all.  The large finale area & bar are on the ground floor.  The basement is mainly studio offices, props, foley and some larger rooms.  I enjoyed that the most, mainly because I went in at the start of the 7pm session and it was fairly quiet down there for a while and I could relax & enjoy it.  After 8pm that enjoyment had turned to frustration.  600 people per session  seems way too many.  I know it's a big building, but it doesn't have a huge cast so when most people find someone, they latch onto them.  The sight of a group of at least 40 people trying to follow 2 actors into a small motel room was comical.  I gave up trying in the end as I'm not one for pushing & shoving my way about, and made my way to the area where I knew the finale would take place.  I did this a few weeks ago when the weather was cooler.  I can only imagine how hot it must be in there this week!

#27 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:00 PM

The best run down of characters and performers from one of the blogs (tumblrs?) focusing on this, it's 'spoiler-lite' as they say but has a complete rundown on who is who and their place in Woyzeck or Day of the Locust (which turns out to be far more pervasive than I'd first imagined).

http://templestudios...-character-list

I did a collation of reviews which I posted elsewhere but I'll put it here behind a spoiler so as not to clutter up the place. Average for print and web magazines appears to be about 75%. I've done my level best to pick out every review since opening, bound to have missed the odd one though.

For comparison Malfi was closer to 60% and Masque of the Red Death was about 85% (again, these were my own collated figures). Low point for Masque was Christopher Hart's review in the Sunday Times.

Spoiler

#28 Michael H

Michael H

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:59 PM

Waiting in the pub down the road before my slot this afternoon. Have avoided the rest of this thread, so I hope I'll enjoy. Will be good to stretch my legs after 8 hours driving from Cornwall yesterday.
Me is directing again - Private Peaceful at the Charles Cryer Theatre, Carshalton, 23 to 26 April 2014.

#29 Michael H

Michael H

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:52 PM

Hmm...  Well, this was my first experience with Punchdrunk.  Not familiar with Woyzeck, Imagine laser quest without the lasers. In a vast space. With astonishing attention to detail. With a bit of line dancing, mixed with that episode of Charlie Brooker's Black Mirror about voyeurs following a criminal around, and the feeling that you're only ever seeing snippets of the main story.  Yet it's still the experience that is most like a dream I've had, as the clown mouthed to a woman at some point.

I spent huge amounts of time wandering around, and quite rarely coming up to an unmasked actor.  Is it normally quite so physical?  I think I might have preferred the Doctor Who one Punchdrunk did.

And yet, I feel as if there is a lot there that I'm just scratching at.  Was there anything dramatic that happened in the chapel?  (There was a bath, and water all over the floor).  And did anything happen in the psychic/palm reader's shop?  Did anything dramatic happen in Dolores's bedroom?  It seemed like such a huge space.

I didn't see any actors at all in the top desert level.  But what was the scarecrow funeral all about?  And it seems I missed out on the basement entirely.

There was a screenplay of "The Drowned Man" describing a lot of the story behind Woyzeck, which was behind Wendy's dressing room.  But the information in the studio doctor's office said Dolores' date of birth was 1880?  Lots of psychological stuff going on, and a couple of the moments were great (the table polishing dance, the moment male Woyzeck gave a rag to female Woyzeck through the studio gates).

It just all felt a bit too big, a bit too free-form and needed a few more pointers, which I've had in the previous immersive experiences I've had in Edinburgh.
Me is directing again - Private Peaceful at the Charles Cryer Theatre, Carshalton, 23 to 26 April 2014.

#30 Michael H

Michael H

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:39 PM

And yet I ended up dreaming that I was trying to go again.  And the memories of my dream are pretty much comparable in my mind with my memories of actually being there.  I guess I'll be going again, now I'm a bit more fore-warned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users