- - - - -

Barry Humphreys (10 Weeks London Palladium)

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#11 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:09 AM

View PostEpicoene, on 26 June 2013 - 06:13 AM, said:

No - a great theatrical genius - if you've only seen him on TV you don't know. However, he must be very old now and I'm surprised he's back on stage at all never mind for 10 weeks.
l

This is his farewell tour.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#12 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1221 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:35 AM

Back in the day this was one of the funniest evenings in the theatre. I can recall him/her having "a Barbie" live on stage and actually cooking food, inviting members of the audience up to "join the party" and then hilariously humiliating them!

However, he is getting on now, and not quite as quick witted as he was and I wonder if he will have the stamina and energy required to do 10 weeks. I shall certainly go though as it is billed as his "farewell" appearance if only for nostalgias sake.

I do seem to remember though that the first half of these shows is taken up with Les Patterson and Sandy - two of his less successful characters to remind us that he is an "actor", and Dame Edna only graces us with her presence for the second act.

#13 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:04 AM

He took this show on tour last year in Australia for the best part of 7 months, by the seems - though I have got no idea of his schedule during that tour. I can only presume this is the "farewell, farewell" tour, rather than a simple "farewell" one.

I can never understand revival farewells, surely the last one wasn't?

#14 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:15 AM

Yes, Daniel, Barry Humphries' farewell world tour of Eat Pray Laugh! played Australia last winter and will reach the UK this autumn.

By the way, it's directed by Simon Phillips, of Priscilla renown.

#15 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1238 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:44 AM

View Postwickedgrin, on 26 June 2013 - 07:35 AM, said:

Back in the day this was one of the funniest evenings in the theatre.
Yes. Not sure when I first saw it - about 1980 maybe. Youngsters will just have to take my word about his greatness, just as I have to take my father's word on the genius of Max Miller and my grandmother's on Charlie Chaplin.

#16 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:45 AM

I wonder if Lynda Snell will be going

#17 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:09 AM

View PostEpicoene, on 26 June 2013 - 09:44 AM, said:

Yes. Not sure when I first saw it - about 1980 maybe. Youngsters will just have to take my word about his greatness, just as I have to take my father's word on the genius of Max Miller and my grandmother's on Charlie Chaplin.

There have been subsequent sustained genius comic reality-character creations - Jacob Rees-Mogg and Melanie Phillips come to mind - but Barry Humphries is unique in creating both Dame Edna and Sir Les (as well as the ghost of Sandy Stone). I stand to be corrected - has anyone ever seen JR-M and MP in the same room?

#18 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1238 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:31 AM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 26 June 2013 - 10:09 AM, said:

There have been subsequent sustained genius comic reality-character creations - Jacob Rees-Mogg and Melanie Phillips come to mind
Ah yes, nothing the liberal left hate more than one of their own who jumps ship - the case of Melanie Phillips, who served 20+ years spouting leftist drivel when employed by the Guardian and Observer, is quite interesting and mirrors that of David Mamet - knee-jerk leftists turned by the anti-Semitism they perceived in their pro-Palestinian fellow travellers (both Jewish, of course).

#19 Lucidwhim

Lucidwhim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:07 PM

I very much want to see this show as it will be the last opportunity to see Dame Edna. Barry Humphries is retiring at the grand age of 79 and I think he is a master at what he does.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users