36 replies to this topic

#1 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:10 PM

Sorry started new thread cos couldn't find the one about this play, the new season thread seemed to be about RII.
So really enjoyed this production. Am amazed and delighted that a director, Maria Aberg, could IMO get it so wrong, as in her King John and now can get it so right. Particularly enjoyed the music by Laura Marling and the 'festival' vibe, like a troupe of my old pals had taken over the stage... No really very imaginative and it worked. Alex Waldmann and Pippa Nixon excellent. I am beginning to rate her very highly and like him a bit more.
Full of kids tonight, big teenage groups and smaller items with families. Nice.

#2 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:31 PM

Hope it comes to London, this and A Mad World My Masters would make a nice little season (is there much of a cast crossover?)

#3 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:34 PM

Seeing Mad World on Wednesday. It is in The Swan so no idea how they are doing the casting. I'll let you know.

#4 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2521 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:36 PM

View PostCardinal Pirelli, on 24 June 2013 - 11:31 PM, said:

Hope it comes to London, this and A Mad World My Masters would make a nice little season (is there much of a cast crossover?)

No cast crossover at all. One RST acting company for Hamlet, As You and All's Well, and a separate Swan acting company for Titus, Mad World and Candide. As You Like It is listed on the RSC website as playing Newcastle in the autumn.

#5 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:38 PM

Oh well, I was hoping to cross 'Mad World' off the list of things I've wanted to see but not had chance to. Sounds good too.

#6 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1238 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:44 AM

View PostCardinal Pirelli, on 24 June 2013 - 11:31 PM, said:

The only London transfer they have mentioned so far is RII, presumably because they are only interested in transferring things that will make a profit (and their fairly sparsely-attended last Roundhouse season can't have done that)

#7 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1664 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:20 AM

I enjoyed this too...I was not a great fan of Alex Waldmann before but thought he was very good here. Pippa Nixon lovely and great transformation at the end for the wedding. The chemistry between her and Waldmann was spot on. Sat on the front row at the side and kept getting a bit worried about bits of bark spraying outwards - just eye height- but escaped unscathed!
Went to the directors talk beforehand for our performance - she explained how all the court dancing stuff was supposed to make us feel the constraints of court and how Nixon gets it wrong to show that she feels trapped and cannot conform...
Loved the outfits of the two women when they turn up in the countryside....splendid!

#8 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:00 AM

We thought the movements in the court expressed stress. And I was impressed with the back ref from Jacques in his dancing. He is fighting his demons, eh?
The bark is sponge. I too came over all elf and safely! I thought the actors might inhale or ingest it. But then hazard of the profession I guess. I liked that the artificial fighting pit became the real earth, the love rooted in nature, organic like, in  reality blah blah... I could on for yonks, as you prob know.
Now am starting to think what director meant by the oversized balloons in KJ? I must get to these 'talks'

#9 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2521 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:15 AM

View PostEpicoene, on 25 June 2013 - 06:44 AM, said:

The only London transfer they have mentioned so far is RII,

Richard II is a standalone production which was scheduled, cast and designed for an immediate London transfer. I guess that the paired Hilary Mantel adaptations, Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies, could earn a commercial West End limited run, if they prove to be a popular hit in Stratford's Swan. The obvious precedent is the two-show adaptation, also by Mike Poulton, of The Canterbury Tales, which transferred to the Gielgud after its Swan run and a lengthy national tour.

Usually, several plays in the Stratford summer season play an autumn season in Newcastle, but this year the RSC has announced only a one-week run of As You Like It in Newcastle, a month after it ends in Stratford. This suggests to me that As You Like It may be touring nationally for five or six weeks in the autumn. If so, one of those weeks might be at Richmond Theatre, which has recently presented several RSC touring productions. I repeat, I'm just speculating here.

#10 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1238 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:24 AM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 25 June 2013 - 11:15 AM, said:

Usually, several plays in the Stratford summer season play an autumn season in Newcastle,
Well, that's not really true is it ? The last time they were there was in 2010. All due to "the cuts" - they cut performances everywhere except Stratford (and USA of course), so Newcastle are lucky to get 1 transfer this year. I am guessing there will be some transfers to the Roundhouse as apparently their contract with them is still in place this year but who knows.

Also tagged with RSC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users