36 replies to this topic

#11 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3754 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:27 AM

Newcastle is getting Hamlet, AYLI and All's Well this season. They got Ceasar (and possibly another?) last year I think.

If the Mantel double bill gets well reviewed, I wouldn't be surprised to see that getting a London transfer too.

#12 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2531 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:00 PM

Thanks, P's#2, for correcting me. The RSC's What's On On Tour page lists only AYLI for Newcastle. I now see that the What's On Stratford page also lists Hamlet and All's Well for Newcastle. Why can't the RSC be clear on their website? They list Ant & Cleo, from 7 - 30 Nov, as a Summer production. They are mad. Do they want an audience?

#13 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2531 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:13 PM

In 2012, Newcastle also received the RSC Taming of the Shrew in the spring and several World Shakespeare Festival productions commissioned by the RSC. As P's#2 says, this year the entire RST summer repertoire plays a Newcastle autumn season.

#14 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:58 PM

Interesting HG what you say about clarity. At the theatre there are zillions of leaflets in the racks, so as you don't know which to select ! Grab em all! They list all the student workshops etc on the calendar listings and include all the Info again in other places: it's as you say,  not clear for the casual punter who might fancy going again! The leaflets not targeted to appropriate punters, ie parents, teachers, students, plain old theatre goers, tourists from a long way away and then UK tourists who for example might trail up to Newcastle or come from Newcastle!
The annual listings and booking form has long required serious level of literacy and patience to decode. I thought that they had cracked it but I fear not.
I don't use the website except to check  something maybe so can't comment on that but the hard copy needs work.

#15 musicals fan

musicals fan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:29 PM

I won't bore readers here again with a complaint about the lack of London productions (which I understood  the RSC receives an additional subsidy for), but Lynette's point about the difficulty of finding your way through the publicity literature,indicates to me that the RSC still doesn't seem to understand marketing.

If they are planning productions for other locations than Stratford later this year, don't they KNOW what they are and when they will be appearing?  It is now the end of June after all. Unless they do they will not be able to publicise anything.There are many alternatives available for the theatregoing audience to attend these days and the sooner the RSC realise that people outside Stratford are not exactly queuing up to await news from this theatrical company the better it will be for them and we members of the audience (not to say taxpayers).

#16 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:18 PM

View Postmusicals fan, on 25 June 2013 - 01:29 PM, said:

There are many alternatives available for the theatregoing audience to attend these days and the sooner the RSC realise that people outside Stratford are not exactly queuing up to await news from this theatrical company the better it will be for them and we members of the audience (not to say taxpayers).
You are right. Through a decade of neglect the RSC has become peripheral to the London theatre scene as witnessed by their poor Roundhouse audiences and it will take some amount of effort from Greg Doran to change this. I expect he is aware of the problem because long-term their ACE grant looks excessively high for a regional company who do a bit of touring and you could argue part of that money would be better distributed directly to Newcastle, Plymouth etc.

#17 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2531 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:05 PM

The RSC's declared commitment to London is a millstone around its neck. Compare with Chichester Festival Theatre, whose productions and co-productions successfully pop up all over London and on nationwide tour according to the merits and potential of each individual show, with no requirement to fulfil any fixed obligation to transfer. The RSC equivalent is Matilda in the West End.

Greg Doran has said that the RSC will explore collaboration with CFT and Sheffield Crucible, both large scale open thrust stages, and of course we know about Richard II coming up in the Barbican Theatre. I agree that the RSC has lost the regular, on-tap audience it had as a Barbican resident company, drawing on its Aldwych and Warehouse inheritance, and I don't think it's achievable to rebuild that loyal support in London because of all the theatre and arts competition. It makes more sense to programme individual RSC event theatre in London, such as Richard II (David Tennant / return to the Barbican) or the Histories at the Roundhouse (once in a generation / culmination of long ensemble) or Matilda (British musical theatre phenomenon).

Recent years' various RSC new play residencies dotted around London (Soho / Wilton's / Tricycle / Hampstead / etc.) were largely failures because the plays were so poor. The RSC "new work" intentions were laudable but the results were usually amongst the writers' worst ever plays. The RSC process of commissioning and developing this new work must have been at fault. However, now that Erica Whyman is in charge of new work, initially for The Other Place from 2014, the standard should markedly improve, given her experience at Northern Stage and elsewhere, and I can't see why some of that Stratford new work shouldn't naturally find its way to other theatres in London and nationwide.

With Shakespeare, the recent RSC policy of touring a few bespoke standalone productions, including playing limited runs in London, seems to work. But I agree that recent Roundhouse experience shows it's hard to drum up any general interest or even awareness for a "blink-and-you-miss-it" transfer of a whole RSC season to London, for extremely short runs in rep.

P.S. The RSC in Stratford is excellent for those who are able to get there.

#18 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:28 PM

The RSC in London is very expensive compared to other subsidised theatres - remember Grandage's first WE season where top price tickets were £32 while the RSC was doing a season at (I think) the Novello where £32 would have got a seat at the back of the upper circle.

#19 igb

igb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:04 PM

As I think I mentioned, I saw the first preview.  I thought it was absolutely stunning, and I've been raving about it since.

#20 igb

igb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:12 PM

View PostEpicoene, on 25 June 2013 - 02:18 PM, said:

You are right. Through a decade of neglect the RSC has become peripheral to the London theatre scene as witnessed by their poor Roundhouse audiences

It would be very, very interesting to see the RSC's booking database for major productions, and see where their customers are coming from.

Also tagged with RSC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users