36 replies to this topic

#21 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:27 PM

I live 100 miles from Stratford, but I usually attend en route home from a regular essential appointment, driving just ten extra miles (not 200). That's an example of how bookers' home postcodes don't necessarily tell you how far they've travelled.

#22 Parsley

Parsley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:37 PM

Do you know what, I don't think they are all that bothered.

The winter season is heavily booked at Stratford (Richard II sold out and Mantel double bill will go the same way).

The RSC can continue to transfer the "star name" shows to London (where suckers will pay top whack to see them in cramped and disgusting WE houses).
At their home venue shows are hardly ever discounted and this would not be the case if they had more of a prominence in London.

In fact many of the recent London seasons have been sold out and the RSC have very limited runs.

They are making more than enough money from Matilda in London and to be honest even if they never transferred another show anywhere ever again I think that show alone is more than most theatres will manage in a lifetime.

I used to live in Stratford and I have been in London for the last 12 years. I am more than happy to go back up a few times per year and enjoy the theatre for what it is.

#23 Coated peanut

Coated peanut

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:45 PM

The Roundhouse was (is) a horrid venue for plays and I don't think it helped selling tickets. Gigs, loud thing, circus - great, anything that needs a non-cavernous atmosphere, not so much. I saw exactly one play in there and decided I'd rather travel to Stratford than repeat the experience, and I live in walking distance to the roundhouse (if you like long walks).

And now I'm wondering whether I should book As You Like It...going twice in a month seems somewhat excessive.

#24 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:08 AM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 25 June 2013 - 03:05 PM, said:

Greg Doran has said that the RSC will explore collaboration with CFT and Sheffield Crucible,
Yes, that is an RSC trick, they partner with somewhere that already has an ACE grant thus saving money for both sides by replacing a subsidised production at that location with a doubly-subsidised production, they did it at Hampstead too. ACE should put a stop to it

#25 igb

igb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:21 AM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 25 June 2013 - 10:27 PM, said:

I live 100 miles from Stratford, but I usually attend en route home from a regular essential appointment, driving just ten extra miles (not 200). That's an example of how bookers' home postcodes don't necessarily tell you how far they've travelled.

I suspect that it would give you broad trends, however.  Most people don't have regular appointments that happen to go past the M40/A46 junction.

#26 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:30 AM

IGB, do you suspect a particular broad trend?

#27 zyx123

zyx123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:14 AM

View PostEpicoene, on 26 June 2013 - 06:08 AM, said:

Yes, that is an RSC trick, they partner with somewhere that already has an ACE grant thus saving money for both sides by replacing a subsidised production at that location with a doubly-subsidised production, they did it at Hampstead too. ACE should put a stop to it

Isn't everybody doing this? As I look at the autumn season for all the subsidised North West theatres, nearly all of them are doing joint productions.

#28 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:16 AM

View Postzyx123, on 26 June 2013 - 10:14 AM, said:

Isn't everybody doing this? As I look at the autumn season for all the subsidised North West theatres, nearly all of them are doing joint productions.
Interesting. The economics of the RSC are intriguing, their total annual income is about £50-60 million from all sources. This year they are doing about 15 new productions. So that is £4 million per production on average. Plainly this calculation is absurd - there must be some enormous fixed costs that are using up their budget - what are they ?

#29 simon from oxford

simon from oxford

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:07 PM

The answer to the RSC budget question is pretty clear when you look at their staff listing in each programme.  They maintain many, many departments - meaning the vast majority of work is done in-house.  Very few companies can sustain their own extensive wardrobe, prop, scenery, armoury teams - let alone a nursery team of 20 people.

Their retail team is listed at 21 people - which is really hard to justify for one small shop with a very limited range.

Yes a lot of the people listed in the programmes will be part time and some will be volunteers.

But the reason the RSC spends so much is because it employs so many people.  I would argue that they could slim down the teams and outsource more of the work.  But they probably wouldn't see it like that.

#30 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:21 PM

I wonder how it compares to the Globe who do a similar amount of productions each year and who also tour.

Also tagged with RSC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users