#31 igb

igb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:46 PM

View PostEpicoene, on 26 June 2013 - 11:16 AM, said:

Interesting. The economics of the RSC are intriguing, their total annual income is about £50-60 million from all sources. This year they are doing about 15 new productions. So that is £4 million per production on average. Plainly this calculation is absurd - there must be some enormous fixed costs that are using up their budget - what are they ?

http://www.rsc.org.u...rk/funding.aspx

60% productions, 14% running the theatres.

#32 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:43 PM

This was lovely, wonderful, marvellous, like my rave for All’s Well but more so as this touched me emotionally and I can get very sentimental.  Pippa Nixon was just excellent as Rosalind and as Ganymede and as Ganymede as Rosalind and when I didn’t want to marry Alex Waldmann I wanted to marry her.  I still want to marry Alex Waldmann, who might have been better here than in All’s Well as though his All’s Well character was an interesting concoction of darkness and youth and desires and moderate hatred which came together in a nice package, his Orlando struck me as someone who would win a wrestling match and was a poet and wasn’t quite a romantic and all the characters not paradoxes but characteristics.  Joanna Horton maybe better here than AWTEW, maybe, very very good in both.  Entire cast a fab ensemble.  Songs, LOVED – have listened to the album of songs twice already.  Applauded with tears in my eyes and a huge grin on my face.

All opinions are subjective, but this is more subjective than most.  If the RSC gave me carte blanche and limitless money to make an As You Like It just for me I think I wouldn’t have pulled it off as well as Maria Aberg did as every little element seemed aimed just at me.  I’m a huuuuge Laura Marling fan so I now have a new Laura Marling album, I loved the costumes, the sets, every actor, blah blah blah, I’ll stop boring you, but this production could have been geared directly at me.  So I loved it.  That’s hugely personal, but I do think most people who don’t share my tastes would enjoy it.  It just so happens that Maria Aberg shares my tastes.  So this was joyous, for me.  Joyous for my friend who is admittedly very similar to me in temperament and tastes and joyous, from the reception, for the whole audience, so maybe it's not as subjective as I think.  But I bet I enjoyed it more than most.

#33 poppy7

poppy7

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:13 PM

View PostNicholas, on 09 September 2013 - 06:43 PM, said:

This was lovely, wonderful, marvellous, like my rave for All’s Well but more so as this touched me emotionally and I can get very sentimental.  Pippa Nixon was just excellent as Rosalind and as Ganymede and as Ganymede as Rosalind and when I didn’t want to marry Alex Waldmann I wanted to marry her.  I still want to marry Alex Waldmann, who might have been better here than in All’s Well as though his All’s Well character was an interesting concoction of darkness and youth and desires and moderate hatred which came together in a nice package, his Orlando struck me as someone who would win a wrestling match and was a poet and wasn’t quite a romantic and all the characters not paradoxes but characteristics.  Joanna Horton maybe better here than AWTEW, maybe, very very good in both.  Entire cast a fab ensemble.  Songs, LOVED – have listened to the album of songs twice already.  Applauded with tears in my eyes and a huge grin on my face.

All opinions are subjective, but this is more subjective than most.  If the RSC gave me carte blanche and limitless money to make an As You Like It just for me I think I wouldn’t have pulled it off as well as Maria Aberg did as every little element seemed aimed just at me.  I’m a huuuuge Laura Marling fan so I now have a new Laura Marling album, I loved the costumes, the sets, every actor, blah blah blah, I’ll stop boring you, but this production could have been geared directly at me.  So I loved it.  That’s hugely personal, but I do think most people who don’t share my tastes would enjoy it.  It just so happens that Maria Aberg shares my tastes.  So this was joyous, for me.  Joyous for my friend who is admittedly very similar to me in temperament and tastes and joyous, from the reception, for the whole audience, so maybe it's not as subjective as I think.  But I bet I enjoyed it more than most.
It is a joyous feet this play. Everything about it is just glorious. I have seen more thoughtful and sleeker version of this, but not one so full of life. Nixon is just out of this world, an amazing actress; and her and Waldmann together just had amazing chemistry. Everything was so natural about them... of course he is going to kiss Ganymede, he loves him. I hope they will, along with their director, continue to be in each others professional lives for many years to come.

#34 poppy7

poppy7

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:01 PM

An interview with the leads, interesting to hear the take on the change to the Pros Arc, and also the ruminations on their chosen careers, and the 'exhaustion' involved in doing all those plays. Well they've been doing it for six months, they are bound to be tired. http://www.mcelhearn...espeare-company

#35 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3742 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:29 PM

Thanks for that, Poppy-  a good read. Hope they come back next Summer.

#36 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:05 PM

Yes, interesting read.

Alex Waldmann has a young family, incidentally, so the comments on ensemble members with families being settled in Stratford may be significant!
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#37 poppy7

poppy7

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:14 PM

View Postxanderl, on 20 September 2013 - 10:05 PM, said:

Yes, interesting read.

Alex Waldmann has a young family, incidentally, so the comments on ensemble members with families being settled in Stratford may be significant!
And I think there are some in the Swan ensemble too. I don't think she has, but it was her who said it, and didn't she say they brought the families with them to Stratford from London (for the six months). Bit of an odd comment, didn't really understand it.  It's tough, doesn't sound like they get to see them much anyway. But then nothings perfect, you do what you can to make it work I guess. If he comes back he may want to reconsider taking on three roles (Nicolas Tennant has three too but they aren't as big parts, and a few others). Love that he said Horatio was his night off... I'd feel the same way.

Also tagged with RSC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users