- - - - -

Would Dreamgirls Or The Life Work In The West End?

maybe ?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Halpster

Halpster

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:19 PM

I know there have been a few near misses even up to the poster going up at the Prince Of Wales for the European Tour...plus for the Life A full page advert in the Standard .....would these shows still stand today?

#2 Mothers Younger Brother

Mothers Younger Brother

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:56 PM

The Life was supposed to be coming to London at some point?

#3 Halpster

Halpster

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:57 PM

yep about six months after it opened on broadway there was a full page advert saying it was to open at the Prince of Wales and gossip that Geri Halliwell would be appearing in it !
Have to say loved the show on Broadway as was the first Broadway show I ever saw ....

#4 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:16 PM

View PostHalpster, on 25 June 2013 - 03:57 PM, said:

yep about six months after it opened on broadway there was a full page advert saying it was to open at the Prince of Wales and gossip that Geri Halliwell would be appearing in it !
Have to say loved the show on Broadway as was the first Broadway show I ever saw ....

That Geri rumour must have been fake, surely? Now I love the woman, but she can't dance and struggles vocally at the best of times (despite being quite vocal!).

I'd like to see Dreamgirls, but I can't see there bring much demand for either show.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#5 sam22

sam22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:14 PM

Still waiting for dreamgirls

#6 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:07 PM

I could see Dreamgirls doing ok if done at somewhere like the Menier or Southwark, but I don't know if it'd find the audience to sustain a West End run.  I wish it would be done somewhere though, I like the score and quite enjoyed the film, and there would be that and Jennifer Hudson's Oscar to cite for marketing purposes...

#7 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:08 AM

Years ago there was a great idea to do it at Stratford east but the rights controller insisted that the broadway production had to be reproduced even tho most of creatives were dead ( note chorus line....re creating is never as exciting). Great missed opportunity
Lawyers can really bugger up theatre especially when they think they are producers

#8 Mothers Younger Brother

Mothers Younger Brother

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:35 PM

Are we talking about The Life by Cy Coleman? About nightlife in Times Square? Hmm..wonder who Gerri would have played.

#9 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:25 PM

View PostMothers Younger Brother, on 26 June 2013 - 01:35 PM, said:

Are we talking about The Life by Cy Coleman? About nightlife in Times Square? Hmm..wonder who Gerri would have played.
The poodle

#10 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:30 PM

The Life is a weak show, Cy Coleman's worst score, as far as I'm concerned.   He was a musical chameleon, able to adapt his style to any subject.  But this one eluded him.  It flopped on Broadway, why would there be any demand for it here?
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users