- - - - -

Would Dreamgirls Or The Life Work In The West End?

maybe ?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#11 sam22

sam22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:09 PM

I don't think just because something flopped on Broadway it necessarily will flop here, I think it does depend on a huge amount of factors which is why Broadway and the West End don't have the exact same shows running for the same length of time. Just reading this article about Broadway hits that failed here which I though was quite interesting

http://www.telegraph...e-West-End.html

#12 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:59 PM

Yes, interesting article.  Spring Awakening and Drowsy Chaperone remain unsolved mysteries for me.  I saw both of them in New York and here and there was no difference in the audience reactions. So why didn't they sell here?

The mystery to Thoroughly Modern Millie was not why it flopped here but why it did so well in New York. It even won an undeserved Tony beating out Urinetown, among others.  I think Sutton Foster's star-making performance was a big factor.

City of Angels is my favorite all-time show but it has the jazziest score ever for a musical and that may have been off-putting to traditional audiences.  Also it's a satire that leans very heavily toward an American sensibility.  Still, a great show is a great show and it should have done better here.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#13 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:02 PM

View Postsam22, on 01 July 2013 - 12:09 PM, said:

I don't think just because something flopped on Broadway it necessarily will flop here, I think it does depend on a huge amount of factors which is why Broadway and the West End don't have the exact same shows running for the same length of time. Just reading this article about Broadway hits that failed here which I though was quite interesting

http://www.telegraph...e-West-End.html

Shows close quicker on broadway cause they don't tolerate the dross we do

#14 sahunt

sahunt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:56 AM

I am surprised that there has been no major UK production of Dreamgirls. Though an extended WE run may be difficult. certainly work on tour though

#15 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:37 PM

View Postsahunt, on 03 July 2013 - 07:56 AM, said:

I am surprised that there has been no major UK production of Dreamgirls. Though an extended WE run may be difficult. certainly work on tour though

Could you cast it here?

#16 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:26 PM

Well you could get Jennifer Holliday to play effie, she always seems happy to play the role 'one last time'
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#17 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:30 PM

View PostMS1995, on 05 July 2013 - 04:26 PM, said:

Well you could get Jennifer Holliday to play effie, she always seems happy to play the role 'one last time'

She'd have to play effie's mother now

#18 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:41 PM

She was due to be playing effie in Atlanta later this year but the production fell through, so obviously someone thinks she is still age appropriate :P
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#19 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:47 PM

View PostMS1995, on 05 July 2013 - 04:41 PM, said:

She was due to be playing effie in Atlanta later this year but the production fell through, so obviously someone thinks she is still age appropriate :P

Or possibly not?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users