23 replies to this topic

#21 bradleyconnor

bradleyconnor

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:32 AM

Hairspray or The Lion King, I really couldnt choose.
Musicals/Plays seen -
2011 - The WIZ (Leeds)
2012 - Two (Manchester), Chicago UK Tour (Manchester), Grease UK Tour (Manchester), Blood Brothers UK Tour (Manchester)
2013 - Billy Elliot (London) x2, Shrek The Musical (London), Matilda (London), Wicked (London), Hairspray UK Tour (Leeds), Priscilla Queen of The Dessert UK Tour (Bradford)
2014 - Les Miserables (London), I Cant Sing! (London)

#22 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:07 PM

View PostTitan, on 25 June 2013 - 03:25 PM, said:

Not completely sure commercial is essential as sometimes a great show can be let down by a poor production (look at the last Guys and Dolls revival on Broadway that flopped).

Les Miserables

* Not only has humour but also creates an emotional response in many people who see it. Not many shows stir the emotions
* Score is full of memorable songs, many of which have known to the public
* Epic story

Cleverly constructed too. Balanced acts and great endings for both, big songs in substantial numbers coming along at regular intevals,   humour at the right moments to stop tragedy turning to misery, all the stories building to conclusions,  for eternity in some cases, and  apart from the delayed  first one, beautifully punctuated with gaps for the applause, so the audience feel engaged.

There's also an awful lot there for good actors to work with. Story arcs for many,  and options for others if they fit the lyrics  and the  director understands  and allows them.

#23 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:16 PM

View PostNicholas, on 25 June 2013 - 10:56 PM, said:

A few years ago I would have said there were three unparalleled musicals, being West Side Story, My Fair Lady and the thus far unmentioned Company, but since listening to Guys and Dolls more I’d say there are four and if I’m feeling in a good mood five with Me and my Girl.  However, if I had to nominate just one it’d be My Fair Lady, which is as close to a perfect piece as I can think and even several duff amateur productions haven’t been able to kill it off.

Story – it’s Bernard Shaw, and I’ve long defended this ‘happy’ ending against the parting of the characters in Pygmalion (Bernard Shaw wrote an appendix about why they’d never be together): it’s not romantic (though I saw a production which ended with them literally walking off into the sunset), it’s a sense of need both of them have, a mutual respect, admiration, perhaps tipping on love…

Humour – it’s Bernard Shaw.

Showstoppers – Higgins’ vocal dexterity, glorious cockerney knees-ups, I Could Have Danced All Night and On The Street Where You Live.

Commercial – it normally doesn’t do bad business, does it, and I’ve seen it performed in sold out amateur locations.  And it proves nothing but the film won a lot of Oscars.

I feel very upset at not nominating West Side Story or Company, though.

The play seemed to be doing well still with Kara Tointon when I last  saw it too - which suggests a market. Its interesting how many actresses seem to answer Eliza when they are asked what musical  role they really  want to play. .Off to see Helena Blackman  play her in Kilsworth in a couple of weeks. Reviews seem very  good there too .

#24 Eastender

Eastender

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:33 PM

So far
Guys and Dolls
Les Mis
Wicked
Sweeney Todd
My Fair Lady
West Side Story

with mentions for Hairspray and Lion King.
That looks a pretty lively top 6 and I would enjoy going to any of them - in fact I have been to all of them ha ha.

New thread about to start for staging and cast.
This could be fun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users