16 replies to this topic

#1 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:54 AM

With Top Hat, Rain and Chorus Line all on the way what is going to be the next West End big dancey show? Ok, so no Westminster Council By-law demands one but surely the market is there for one or ideally several ... I’m guessing Stephen Ward won’t have tap-dancing Osteopaths?!

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#2 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:55 AM

Newsies

#3 bradleyconnor

bradleyconnor

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:21 AM

View PostTitan, on 26 June 2013 - 10:55 AM, said:

Newsies
Yes, Newsies come to the West End in 2014
Musicals/Plays seen -
2011 - The WIZ (Leeds)
2012 - Two (Manchester), Chicago UK Tour (Manchester), Grease UK Tour (Manchester), Blood Brothers UK Tour (Manchester)
2013 - Billy Elliot (London) x2, Shrek The Musical (London), Matilda (London), Wicked (London), Hairspray UK Tour (Leeds), Priscilla Queen of The Dessert UK Tour (Bradford)
2014 - Les Miserables (London), I Cant Sing! (London)

#4 Mark_E

Mark_E

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2345 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:37 PM

Kinky boots!

#5 sam22

sam22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:06 PM

I heard a rumour today that Newsises is only opening if they find enough good dancers and they haven't been able to so far. I personally can't see this being true as surely loads of great dancers but that is from someone involved. Any thoughts?

#6 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:51 AM

sounds possible to be honest

#7 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1002 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:20 AM

Sounds very possible. The west end has some fantastic dancers but.

1. Not all available

2. Not as many or the standard of broadway

#8 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:21 AM

Exactly, Broadway just has the edge in dancers, especially the old school style that Newsies requires

#9 n3mis3s

n3mis3s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:05 AM

i Disagree, the pedigree of boys dance ability in this country is very much undervalued. - tho i do agree that the "strong masculine" boys are all snapped up between wicked in town and tour, Mormon, Cats, SITR Tour, WWRY, DD, we have a massive newbie Influx coming fresh from colleges this month - Bird/ Arts/ Laines/ the Urdang will no doubt be a strong influence in the casting these schools churn out great classical technique and stamina needed for such a show - the Expolritiry auditions didnt go down well, because of the above - the Boys are working, or have work lined up. so its either go with an entire Debut company - or go over to Covent Garden and take 10 classical boys from The School and fill the rest of the cast with MT boys from the  above colleges and more. its castable - but does it have an audience - the weekends will be busy - but i cant see it doing great buisness with a Purple Rinse Wed matinee - "Newsies" is the Americans "Oliver" -  fingers crossed as it is a genuinly fantastic show - i had the fortune of seeing it opening night and 2 weeks ago . its Strong. but will it pack a Punch

#10 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1002 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:32 AM

This is also true, new talent could make up the cast of newsies BUT on another issue I don't understand why newsies is coming over in the first place. Does it really have an audience here? No one really knows about it, it wasn't a popular Disney film this side if the world, it isn't a large spectacle compared to other Disney shows and while the dancing is fantastic, after a while kids will get bored if it, also the story, I just feel tis is perfect for New York but not suited to London !!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users