Wicked
Sweeney Todd
My Fair Lady
West Side Story

and a cracking good list too.

So next task is
1 What production of any of these did you enjoy the most
2 How could it have been improved
3 What would be your dream cast for any of these.

I will kick off saying the National's staging of Guys and Dolls was just brilliant.
And I cannot imagine Sweeney ever having a better top two than Michael Ball and Imelda. They were amazing. And Imelda was also in G&D playing Miss Adelaide when I saw that. She is a treasure.

#2 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:00 PM

My favourite staging of Sweeney was actually the one by the National Youth Music Theatre a few years ago, they were brilliant!

As for Wicked, I'm partial to the 2008 Melbourne cast with Amanda Harrison and Lucy Durack.

#3 Tettekete

Tettekete

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Interests:Theatre and travel

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:18 PM

I've only seen one of those listed, so... the Dutch cast and the 2011-2012 London cast are my favourites. I do really miss Rachel Elphaba!

My dream cast would have to be...

Willemijn Verkaik as Elphaba
Gina Beck as Glinda
Anton Zetterholm as Fiyero
Lillie Flynn as Nessarose
Sam Lupton as Boq
Chris Howell as The Wizard
Julie Legrand as Morrible
Seen (theatre): Once (London x 2), Wicked (Scheveningen, The Netherlands x6), Wicked (London x 22), We Will Rock You (London x3), Les Miserables (London x 1), The Phantom of the Opera (London x1), Rock of Ages (London x 1), Romeo et Juliette (Takarazuka Revue, Japan x 5), Studio54 (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), For Whom The Bell Tolls (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), Nova Bossa Nova/Meguriai wa Futatabi (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x2), Nijinsky (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x3), 9 to 5: The Musical (UK Tour, Sunderland x1), RENT in Concert (Newcastle x1), Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour, Sunderland x 1)

Seen (concerts, etc): Willemijn Verkaik "As I Am" solo concert at the AFAS Circustheater (2012), West End Eurovision 2013, Rachel Tucker at the St James Theatre studio, Scott Alan at the O2, Andrew Lippa at the St James Theatre

#4 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:49 PM

Well I've only seen the West End version of Wicked, and it is my favourite show from the list. No one can do Elphaba better than Rachel, and Dianne Pilkington was perfect as Glinda. It's hard trying to think of ways to improve Wicked, but (and I know it can't happen) I'd love them to actually use ruby slippers.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#5 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:52 PM

I thought Michael Ball was awful in Sweeney, and the production as a whole extremely overrated.  Imelda Staunton was pretty much the only good thing about it.

I don’t have a particular favourite Wicked cast as I think they’ve pretty much all had weaknesses, but Rachel Tucker and Louise Dearman are an unbeatable Elphaba/Glinda partnership in my opinion.  The 2011 cast overall was pretty strong.

But I think you’d be hard pressed to beat the original cast of Les Mis – the legendary Colm Wilkinson leading such a talented bunch of actors building up that wonderful show from scratch.

#6 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3375 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:04 PM

oh i think you could have  a better les mis cast than the original, excluding colm. No Patti 'singing', no cheesy Ball, a stronger eponine etc. The 10th anniversary is pretty close to perfect

agreed on sweeney. id have the RFH concert cast but switch Maria for Imelda.

Wicked would be Alexia and Gina with Adam or Matt as Fiyero

#7 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:25 PM

View Postcanadian_turtle, on 26 June 2013 - 04:00 PM, said:

My favourite staging of Sweeney was actually the one by the National Youth Music Theatre a few years ago, they were brilliant!

As for Wicked, I'm partial to the 2008 Melbourne cast with Amanda Harrison and Lucy Durack.

Agree that. And that following the film showed what could be done with younger sounding and looking people who people might actually like some more as they killed away.

#8 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:05 AM

View Postposter J, on 26 June 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

I thought Michael Ball was awful in Sweeney, and the production as a whole extremely overrated.  Imelda Staunton was pretty much the only good thing about it.

I don’t have a particular favourite Wicked cast as I think they’ve pretty much all had weaknesses, but Rachel Tucker and Louise Dearman are an unbeatable Elphaba/Glinda partnership in my opinion.  The 2011 cast overall was pretty strong.

But I think you’d be hard pressed to beat the original cast of Les Mis – the legendary Colm Wilkinson leading such a talented bunch of actors building up that wonderful show from scratch.

I think Rachel has  just has the right tonal qualities to convey Elphaba,  and to sound distinctive singing with her Glindas.She also added high power extras to the vocals that  made sense,  and didn't sound as if she was auditioning for some other rock show.   The current pairing are both very good, but they may  sound too similar.

I agree Les Mis is made by the original cast. I doubt if it would have made it without Valjean and Eponine being who they were,  and adding content to those roles. Roger as Javert still sounded  convincing at the 25th. Not sure  you wouldn't change Cosette's role a bit if you started now.  If you want   a more modern cast to base one on,  I would go with the 2008-10 cast (who still look young enough)  and go with JOJ , or Jonathan, or Ramin or Geronimo, or Killian. as Valjean. Earl Carpenter as Javert was convincingly authoritative, David Thaxton was pretty much perfection as Enjolras,  and   Katie and Nancy added tragedy to Eponine's story by making the Eponine- Marius-Cosette triangle  work credibly.  and Eponine a real but doomed competitor -  instead of the battered sad onlookers or unlikeable versions. The end of One Day More and a  Heartful of Love haven't sounded as good since. It also  works better when the Thenardiers look, move,  and sound like the  family they  are. Recently though, Linzi Hateley added a lot as Madame Thenardier.  I think you would do what they are doing ,and bring in a Ruthie. Lea or Sierra as Fantine  - as people seem to expect something big . Not sure who I would have as Marius - they need to match Cosette and Eponine, and with a stronger Enjolras there's more scope for making them more powerful , but still less powerful than Enjolras or Ball.  

After that tearjerker though i think i would need a visit to a Sheridan Smith or Amy Lennox Legally Blonde to cheer up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users