• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#11 MusicalBoy

MusicalBoy

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:30 PM

The 2006 production was nothing on the exceptional Donmar revival to begin with, and Will isn't bad in the role, he's no Alan Cumming, although his performance is essentially overly animated clown shtick with a thick german accent and an ostentatious demeanor...

I actually thought Michelle Ryan was sensational, not sure if people genuinely disliked her or mistook her excellent take on the sleazy, relaxed demeanor of Sally for laziness in the role...

#12 DrP

DrP

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:01 PM

what were the main changes between the run with Anna Maxwell Martin and the Savoy and then tours?

#13 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:28 PM

View PostDrP, on 01 July 2013 - 03:01 PM, said:

what were the main changes between the run with Anna Maxwell Martin and the Savoy and then tours?

Bill added bits from an agatha christie set

#14 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:53 PM

The show was "toned down" from the original WE production for the tour. Some nudity was cut and some choreography "modified", to make it more acceptable for the provinces. Did not see the latest incarnation at the Savoy with Will Young but will try and catch it on tour.

#15 robg

robg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

i saw both tours at the birmingham rep ,the second tour was slightly different  and some of the nudity taken out , it was still in the first  and Sam Barks was fantastic as sally  as was henry  luxemburg ? wayne sleep was ok very camp and pretty funny  , but in the provinces  he had his elderly fan club in ,the night i went ... a group of about 20 over 50s  all squeeling and arrrhhh ing  every time he walked on ... at one time we heard a ` awwwwww bless him he can still do it ` caused many titters in the audience

met the cast in the bar after and both Henry and Sam were charming really pleasent and lovely to chat too

#16 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:32 PM

I loved this at the savoy, was disappointed when I couldn't get back to see it for a second time. Will definitely be buying a ticket for Wimbledon

#17 theatreliker

theatreliker

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:06 PM

Lyn Paul will be playing Fraulein Schneider.
2014 theatre: Blithe Spirit (Gielgud)  Booked: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Savoy)  Waterbabies (Curve)  View from the Bridge (Young Vic)  Birdland (Royal Court).

#18 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

Siobhan Dillon just tweeted that she will be Sally! I have to get myself to see this now!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#19 BurlyBeaR

BurlyBeaR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:04 PM

View Postrobg, on 04 July 2013 - 11:19 AM, said:

i saw both tours at the birmingham rep ,the second tour was slightly different  and some of the nudity taken out , it was still in the first  and Sam Barks was fantastic as sally  as was henry  luxemburg ? wayne sleep was ok very camp and pretty funny  , but in the provinces  he had his elderly fan club in ,the night i went ... a group of about 20 over 50s  all squeeling and arrrhhh ing  every time he walked on ... at one time we heard a ` awwwwww bless him he can still do it ` caused many titters in the audience

met the cast in the bar after and both Henry and Sam were charming really pleasent and lovely to chat too

I saw Wayne Sleep in it and thought he was dreadful. Cringingly bad, in fact I was watching through my fingers most of the time.
I say most of the time because I had to use the fingers to plug my ears in the bits when Sam Barks was singing :0)

I dont think I've ever seen a production of Cabaret I really enjoyed. I think I'm too emotionally connected to Liza :0)

#20 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:13 PM

Yes, Sally Bowles is a part that is notoriously difficult to pull off, because of the iconic performance of Liza Minnelli in the film. However, her portrayal although fabulous, is not true to the character in the book or the original musical. Sally is a second rate singer/performer in a run down club, she is struggling emotionally and financially. So although the character is second rate as a performer, an audience expects the actor to deliver the numbers well and "smash it" but the character wouldn't. Judi Dench played the role in London originally - more truthfully to the character I suspect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users