44 replies to this topic

#21 BurlyBeaR

BurlyBeaR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:52 PM

Exactly. And who wants to see a musical about someone not very fabulous who can't sing?

Whoops.... That doesn't bode well for the X Factor Musicl then!

#22 Distant_Cousin

Distant_Cousin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:01 PM

Anna Maxwell Martin was the definitive Sally Bowles for me.  So much depth and truth in her performance.  She was mesmerising.

#23 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:15 PM

COMPLETELY agree!!!

#24 DrP

DrP

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:14 AM

Saw this last night in Wimbledon, it remains a great production.

Will good as the MC but a little too playful for my liking, and plays it for laughs a lot. But a good interpretation of the character.
Siobhan Dillon has a good voice but feels very polished for a Sally. In 'Cabaret' she also does that odd 'speak singing and not hitting the notes to indicate fear/on drugs' thing but belted out the song well. I did miss the pushing-over-the-microphone moment at the end.

Some things I missed:
- was 'Don't Tell Mama' always played backwards to the audience so we see backstage? I'm sure I remember it from the west end/last tour being played as normal
- has 'If you could see her' changed too? It was done as a sort of projection/dumb show which I didn't think was anywhere near as effective
- also miss the original staging of 'Tomorrow belongs to me' although the puppets is quite clever (although it got a laugh rather than a shocked reaction)

Lots of giggling to bums and willies and gasps at men kissing. Also seemed to be a few mic problems.

Overall a good performance of a great performance with some first night niggles to iron out.

#25 mrkringas

mrkringas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:02 AM

I'm pretty sure Don't Tell Mamma was played in the reverse at the Savoy.

I enjoyed the shock reveal at the end of "If You Could See Her". Sickeningly effective and something different from the tired monkey costume.

Also depressing that people laugh at the puppets. I'm convinced from the chat I overheard at the Savoy that my fellow audience had no idea what this musical was about. No wonder we are experiencing record levels of anti-Semitism in this country when people can be so oblivious to socio-political commentary in theatre.

#26 DrP

DrP

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:19 AM

I didn't see the Savoy run but saw the original west end run, and the tour with Wayne Sleep (shudder). Maybe it changed between that and the Savoy.

I vaguely remember James Dreyfuss having some kind of half-man half-gorilla suit for that song, which was effective. Wonder why they got rid of it

#27 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:21 AM

Yes, the reversed and shortened staging of "Don't Tell Mama" was new for the Savoy. One of the many changes I was not overly fond of.

#28 mrkringas

mrkringas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:39 PM

If you include Mein Herr then Don't Tell Mamma is a touch redundant no?

Suspect that is the reason for its semi-inclusion this way. Keeps the focus on Cliff? While still leaving you in the world of the Kit Kat Club?

#29 Distant_Cousin

Distant_Cousin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:40 PM

View PostDrP, on 29 August 2013 - 11:19 AM, said:

I didn't see the Savoy run but saw the original west end run, and the tour with Wayne Sleep (shudder). Maybe it changed between that and the Savoy.

I vaguely remember James Dreyfuss having some kind of half-man half-gorilla suit for that song, which was effective. Wonder why they got rid of it

I think it was half man, half pig :)

#30 DrP

DrP

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:45 AM

Yes! you're right!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users