Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1024 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:08 AM

great review here
http://www.telegraph...ulture/theatre/
please could i have some spoilers?! what is the use of puppets and the coup at the end? i saw it with Ann M-M how does it differ?
many thanks :)

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#32 DrP

DrP

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:30 AM

SPOILERS!

In 'Tomorrow Belongs' at the end of Act 1Will is standing on a big lectern thing and all the dancers are dressed in traditional German costume and are on long elastic strings, moving like puppets. At the end of the song he lifts up the wooden handles of the puppets and they are big red swastikas.

At the very end of the show (and I think that has stayed the same since the original version) the cast all gather at the back of the stage, strip off their clothes and form a huddle as snow (or ash?) falls from the sky and a hissing gas sound is heard, as the curtain slowly falls.

#33 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1024 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:14 AM

thanks for that

I really liked the act 1 ending orginal ending that Norris chose but I know lots of people didn't get it and I remember my mum asking why is everyone naked? This also served as a great juxtaposition to the gas chamber ending of act 2. However the puppet thing also sounds really good

Cabaret is such a strong musical that can be interpreted in many ways and thankfully the writers have always allowed this. I wish West Side Story would also follow this line ...

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#34 Monteverdi

Monteverdi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:58 PM

I'm just back from seeing the tour in Manchester, and it is in mighty fine shape, still shattering, still inventive, and beautifully performed. Great to hear the elder couples songs so beautifully sung, but my audience, clearly here to see will Young, chose these tender scenes to text, go out for drinks and chatter. I loathe audiences now as no-one seems to be able to concentrate for an hour, or go for an hour without going to the toilet. However the production is still a definitive production. I did see it with Wayne Sleep who was OK (but oh the earlier production he starred in - with Kelly Hunter - was just hideous). The production stands totally removed from the film at last. But did anyone see Alistair McGowan or Julian Clary who both played it in the West end first time round, I believe. Both dubious casting, but Will Young has so much presence and that smile can vanish very suddenly. He was brilliant actually. And dear audiences, that's a bum, that's a breast, get over it. This is a production about bigger things. That last five minutes could go so easily wrong, but thankfully it is set up well, and their was finally stunned silene and attention from the audience. Overhearing conversations from the audience makes me astonished at time. The couple next to me really did not get the Nazi references - what!!! What does it take for an audience to connect with what the are watching?

#35 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:36 AM

View PostMonteverdi, on 14 September 2013 - 10:58 PM, said:

The couple next to me really did not get the Nazi references - what!!! What does it take for an audience to connect with what they are watching?

Sapience.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#36 Monteverdi

Monteverdi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:08 AM

you are right there, Matthew, and that was missing tonight.

#37 Richey

Richey

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:35 PM

I saw it in Manchester on Thursday, my fourth time seeing it in this incarnation and every time I am still astounded by the number of people who don't get the Nazi references or think a naked bottom on the stage is the height of hilarity. There were several giggles at the end of 'Tomorrow Belongs to Me' although thankfully the nudity at the end didnt provoke the usual titters.
I actually loved this production and think it has improved since last years tour.I think there have been a few little tweaks in the staging.
Siobhan was excellent and I thought her rendition of the title song was amazing.

#38 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, film, travel, reading, walking

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:59 PM

Does anyone know as part of this tour whether this show will be heading back to London? I missed it the first time around
Don't we get to be happy? At some point down the line, don't we get to relax without some new tsuris to push me yet further from you!

Who dare tell the lambs in Spring what fate the later season brings?

#39 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:08 PM

I don't know but would highly doubt it!

#40 Monteverdi

Monteverdi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:00 PM

have a look at www.kenwright.com - it has all the dates there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users