47 replies to this topic

#41 Carfax

Carfax

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:52 PM

View PostMonteverdi, on 04 September 2013 - 07:28 PM, said:

I'm sad Richard felt his time wasted by this production. I felt giddy for days afterwards, from the sheer energy and silliness of the production, and having been on the front row the involvement was not forced and was much welcomed. It wasn't art, (?) but it was a darn fine party, and the cast exuded warmth. Great to see this in the afternoon and Titus in the evening.
Totally agree with you (although I didn't see them on the same day).  I thought the production of 'Mad World' worked well and the Swan acting company is a very good one on the whole.  The production is a lot of fun and it was very enthusiastically received by the audience at the performance I attended.

#42 theatrepaul

theatrepaul

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:49 PM

There's nothing wrong with re-setting a Jacobean comedy to 50's Soho & re-working it, but despite some funny moments & the best efforts of the actors, the plot with its various different strands just didn't come together for me & I left feeling rather underwhelmed

#43 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:53 PM

I saw it a month or so ago and felt the same. It's not a very good play (there's too much going on for a start), and whilst the production makes good use of the Swan space, the musical numbers entertaining (if out of place), it can't save it. That said, the final scene is good. And funny.

#44 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:42 PM

Enjoyed this a great deal. It was certainly fairly mad but very entertaining! Great singing and thought John Hopkins was brilliant! Also quite clever as Richard Goulding (as Dick Follywit) and Sarah Ridgeway (as the prostitute) were both very likeable rouges - fine casting! Glad I saw it!

#45 Monteverdi

Monteverdi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:32 PM

yes John Hopkins is astonishing - to see him in both this and Titus in the same day was extraordinary.

#46 vickster51

vickster51

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:57 AM

I saw this on Saturday afternoon and thoroughly enjoyed it. Finishes on Saturday but I'd recommend it for anyone who can make it before it finishes.

#47 Monteverdi

Monteverdi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:23 AM

But if they are doing Titus the same day, try to catch both productions as to see the cast in both is a revelation - and yes John Hopkins is extraordinary in both.

#48 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:30 PM

According to Sean Foley's credit in the I Can't Sing! programme, this production of A Mad World My Masters will be revived and tour in 2015.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users