47 replies to this topic

#11 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:06 AM

Gregory Doran has said that over the next five years he plans to produce no Shakespeare in the Swan, but to focus on producing more plays from this period, I suspect that Michael Billington's blog is intended to send a message to the RSC that he would prefer less editing and adapting in these planned future productions. I very much agree with Duncan's post above, which is a much fairer view of the editing and adapting than Michael Billington's.

#12 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:24 AM

So it's a critic's job to determine how plays are produced now? Maybe they'd be more respected if they reviewed from the point of view of the audience that is being aimed at, rather than regurgitating their own biases. Billington's one of the most conservative reviewers there is; that, and always banging on about how what he sees needs more of a political viewpoint.

Maybe he forgot that Middleton, himself, revamped plays by others. Macbeth, for example, includes Middleton's rewrites and many claim that this includes the Hecate, Porter and even the witch scenes. I look forward to seeing Billington complain about the inclusion of these next time he reviews that play.

#13 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:22 PM

Haven't seen Hecate for donkey's years.

Duncan, I'll leave it in cos it is relevant to the discussion, but I think you might have given away best joke of the night. So if you are going to see this show, don't read Duncan's post.

#14 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:54 PM

View PostLynette, on 03 July 2013 - 12:22 PM, said:

Duncan, I'll leave it in cos it is relevant to the discussion, but I think you might have given away best joke of the night. So if you are going to see this show, don't read Duncan's post.

Too late :lol:

#15 Duncan

Duncan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:27 PM

View PostLynette, on 03 July 2013 - 12:22 PM, said:

Haven't seen Hecate for donkey's years.

My excuse is that I thought that line was a one-off adlib that only happened that particular performance. I am now mortified to hear that it is a fixed part of the production.

#16 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:42 PM

This year they've allowed some ad lib potential with Touchstone in As You Like It. In the performance we saw, this was delightfully worked by Rosalind at the end, but I expect she does it  every time. The RSC is by the book...usually.

#17 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:34 PM

The last paragraph: http://www.guardian....view?CMP=twt_fd

#18 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:32 PM

Could have been the actor, could be the different versions of text. Many years ago directors wrote whole passages of text at the B'ham Rep and the RSC, for the Histories. No one noticed, let alone complained!
I think I meant that the RSC usually does not open the productions to ad libbing and cavorting about, it is all rehearsed.

#19 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:08 AM

View PostCardinal Pirelli, on 03 July 2013 - 11:24 AM, said:

So it's a critic's job to determine how plays are produced now?
One of the commenters on Billington's piece pointed out that he hadn't made the same complaint about similar updates in "One Man Two Guvnors". As Peter Hall sagely noted, in Shakespeare's day ALL plays were done in modern dress, and surviving texts show us that updates, edits and topical references were commonplace. I'd suggest it was time that Billington hung up his quill if it weren't for the risk that miserable old Lyn Gardner would take over.

#20 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:22 PM

I thought this was dismal - a low-quality rip-off of One Man Two Guvnors with a vastly inferior cast. Plainly the actors were enjoying it far more than the audience which is always a bad sign. Also why claim the running time is 2:45 when it comes in at a wildly excessive 3:00 ? The additions by Foley along the lines of "He's often shot his wad on me" were simply crass rather than amusing, unless you are an adolescent of course.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users