47 replies to this topic

#21 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:43 PM

So you had a nice weekend in Stratford, Epi? I disagree about Mad World which I think was a good remake! 'Fraid I chickened out of the Titus so no opinion there.

#22 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:41 AM

View PostLynette, on 14 July 2013 - 06:43 PM, said:

So you had a nice weekend in Stratford, Epi? I disagree about Mad World which I think was a good remake! 'Fraid I chickened out of the Titus so no opinion there.
One way they can raise the tension in Titus is with the anticipation of violence - this did it for you without even seeing it (did you check their "There WIll Be Blood" video trailer with the butcher ?). That is why I said the first 30 seconds were good here - it made you feel a  bit uneasy about what was to come. However, this was soon dissipated. I know it annoys the youngsters to mention things like this, but the Brian Cox/Deborah Warner  version was far more queasy and unpleasant simply because of the quality of the acting and tight direction with an overall consistent style, even though it didn't have the promised buckets of blood this one did. This one is not bad though, but the sum of the parts is less than the parts themselves. If anyone wants to argue the toss over Boxer I can expand on why I thought he was weak.

#23 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:26 PM

Actually I am going to take Epicoene's side. The premise sounded interesting and this was the first time me and my mum were seeing a play by one of Shakespeare's contemporaries, so we were looking forward to this.

We went in expecting to become accustomed with this complex plot. That was difficult with actors in the background continually going "Ooh, look at me chuck drinks into the audience, drunkenly stumble around the stage, get stuck in a rubbish bin, twiddle a statue's privates" and so on, or even "Remember that old cranky guy from One Man, Two Guv'nors? Well here he is again only SLOWER" (jeez!).

With so much distractions it was difficult to concentrate on the dialogue and understand what was going on. This certainly felt like A Mad World my Masters meet One Man, Two Guv'nors. The difference is that One Man did not rely on using physical gags every second

Now to be fair the second act felt more restrained. The cleverest moment was the acting scene at the end, and I liked Dick Follywit's storyline but that was Middleton's work there, not one of Sean Foley and Phil Porter's attempts at being clever.

All in all the production had its moments, but we sat in the front rows stoney faced whilst everyone else was enjoying the production (though I did wonder whether it was only the actors who were having the time of their life). Even my mum left during the interval, which she has not done since last year's Troilus and Cressida.
My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

#24 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:18 PM

Fascinated to know what your mum did after the interval while waiting for you.

#25 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:27 PM

She was tired by the interval and the show did not do her any favors. She went back to the hotel and watched the relaxing TV documentary, Hebrides: Islands on the Edge.

She was very interested in seeing this when we booked last year, and she was still interested when we sat down to see it.
My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

#26 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:43 PM

Better luck next time. Maybe wait til we have all pontificated before you book.

#27 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:13 AM

View PostLynette, on 26 July 2013 - 06:43 PM, said:

Better luck next time. Maybe wait til we have all pontificated before you book.
Everywhere I look there are big adverts for this, but I'm guessing it is actually sold out (there were some poor unfortunates behind me in the standing places) - I guess they are preparing the ground for a commercial transfer of this one - good luck, I'd say it will die on its feet as a commercial proposition.

#28 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3760 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:24 AM

View PostEpicoene, on 29 July 2013 - 09:13 AM, said:

Everywhere I look there are big adverts for this, but I'm guessing it is actually sold out (there were some poor unfortunates behind me in the standing places) - I guess they are preparing the ground for a commercial transfer of this one - good luck, I'd say it will die on its feet as a commercial proposition.

You guess wrong; still lots of seats left (just checked a Saturday night in September, plenty available on all levels), so I guess their heavy advertising is to try and shift those. Doubt v much it'll transfer. Still, I'm interested to see it when I go in September. Want to see the All's Well That Ends Well too, but the dates don't match up. Hope for a London run for that, but again, doubt it'll happen.

#29 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:59 AM

View PostPharaoh, on 29 July 2013 - 09:24 AM, said:

You guess wrong; still lots of seats left (just checked a Saturday night in September, plenty available on all levels), so I guess their heavy advertising is to try and shift those.
Yes. Maybe the main house productions will transfer to the Roundhouse, they have nothing scheduled from end-November (after RSC finish in Newcastle).

#30 Monteverdi

Monteverdi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:41 PM

just see Mad World and Titus in one day - full marks to the extraordinary hard working cast and crew - and wardrobe. I hope the blood is easy to wash out of those suits. What a spectacular five minutes to end Titus. John Hopkins is the glue in both productions, with the most splendid voice - and a rather delicious bath scene. These two shows must be hard work for all concerned ( I know that this is their job, but all that running, dancing and drumming, and endless costumes changes, and then being hung upside down!) and I loved every second.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users