Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:37 PM

View Postjaqs, on 27 June 2013 - 12:03 PM, said:

Hows the audience for Curious Incident of the dog?

I've seen Curious Incident twice (I'm under 40 btw) and both times the audience was mixed age wise. I went to matinees both times (one Thursday and one Saturday). On the Thursday there were several school classes. On the Saturday I notices quite a lot of groups of younger people, probably all in their early to mid twenties.

#12 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:14 PM

Go to the Young Vic, BAC, Lyric Hammersmith etc. and the audience are much younger on the whole. Spend a week or two at the Edinburgh fringe and the same.

The main reason is the material, an Ayckbourn will attract an aging middle class audience, in the Punchdrunk audience last week, however, there was a surprising amount of grey hair but still very much in a minority. Something like War Horse will skew younger than most, same with Curious Incident. Complicite, Kneehigh, Filter and so on, more companies that bring in a younger audience than most.

#13 Emsworthian

Emsworthian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:41 PM

I saw "CATS" at the Mayflower, Southampton, on Saturday and there were several families and some of the children had their faces painted like cats.  There were also quite a few groups of teenage girls.

#14 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:20 PM

View PostEmsworthian, on 27 June 2013 - 01:41 PM, said:

I saw "CATS" at the Mayflower, Southampton, on Saturday and there were several families and some of the children had their faces painted like cats.  There were also quite a few groups of teenage girls.
That's a musical though, and on the whole they seem to attract younger audiences.  I have to admit to being part of the problem there  - musicals appeal to me far more than plays in general, and I'm in my early 20s.  I do intend to go to more plays when I actually live in London, but when I'm only there occasionally, I'll always pick a musical, and not that many plays seem to tour near me.

#15 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:25 PM

Well, I'm mid 20s and I feel that you have more chance of enjoying a musical than a play - the enjoyment factor isn't quite as certain at a play.

Personally I love both, and on the whole feel that there aren't many plays that I've seen that leave me thinking 'well that was just brilliant'. The best plays I've seen over the last year were The Audience and Curious Incident (NT): at The Audience I did look around and think 'well I must the youngest one here!' (same with Passion Play at the weekend!).

Curious Incident does attract a younger audience, but that's probably because its a play based on a novel that isn't even 10 year old.

The age thing though doesn't bother me. I love theatre and see as much as I can: I love getting lost in someone else's story (except for Peter and Alice's). The thread does remind me of when I went to see Debbie Reynolds a few year ago - she quite happy did a countdown (in 10s) to see how much of the audience was in each age bracket - I was one of only three under 30!
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#16 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3393 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:53 PM

I think part of the problem is plays arnt often entertaining, they often require thought, interest and maybe an emotional response.  Young people get enough of that at school.  Musicals are more of a crowd pleaser and are fun. Theatre should be fun tohelp engage younger people.  They can then discover the more grown up/thought provoking side of theatre as they get older.

Personally I didnt really get into plays until my early 20s

#17 Emsworthian

Emsworthian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:57 PM

Oops!  Apologies for my previous post  - I started reading the thread, forgot the headline and thought it was a general discussion about theatre audience ages. Chichester Festival Theatre has this season a special offer of a limited number of tickets priced £8.50 for those aged 25 and under; they go on sale a month before each production opens.  I've just checked for "If Only..." and the allocations for the next few nights all seem to have been taken. It would be interesting at the end of the Chichester season to see how it went in terms of take up of this deal and what was the most popular production.

#18 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:03 PM

View PostEmsworthian, on 27 June 2013 - 02:57 PM, said:

Oops!  Apologies for my previous post  - I started reading the thread, forgot the headline and thought it was a general discussion about theatre audience ages. Chichester Festival Theatre has this season a special offer of a limited number of tickets priced £8.50 for those aged 25 and under; they go on sale a month before each production opens.  I've just checked for "If Only..." and the allocations for the next few nights all seem to have been taken. It would be interesting at the end of the Chichester season to see how it went in terms of take up of this deal and what was the most popular production.

I was at PJ Game there & I can tell you that some of the seats allocated for 18-25 didnt have that age range in them. I paid particular attention as I wanted to get a seat so I could sit with my 17yr old daughter (who cudnt get an £8.50 seat as she was too young so I paid half price as usual). I looked to where the £8.50 seats were & there were MUCH older people in them. How does that work?

#19 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:05 PM

Having seen the current McDonald's ad in cinemas, I propose that a similar commercial be produced by the RSC  starring Lynette and One Direction and culminating in the Swan Theatre, Stratford-upon-Avon, with Lynette and Harry simultaneously reaching for a jelly baby after a belly laugh in A Mad World My Masters.

#20 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3393 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:07 PM

Thats annoying if true. I had ticket for Pajama Game but was ill, i think tried to get a last minute ticket and they only had those, and I couldnt buy them!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users