#21 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:17 PM

View PostTitan, on 27 June 2013 - 03:07 PM, said:

Thats annoying if true. I had ticket for Pajama Game but was ill, i think tried to get a last minute ticket and they only had those, and I couldnt buy them!

Where I sat I was on the edge of the 18-25 seats & wanted to get my daughter a cheap one next to me, I couldn't so I got her a half price one on the other side of me. When we took our seats there were oldies (I mean retired) in the 18-25 seats. I thought about emailing CFT  but in the end couldn't be bothered.

#22 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:19 PM

Titan, are you sure that you literally tried at the last minute? If so, I'd advise waiting for thirty seconds more, on future similar occasions. I'd expect CFT to release any unsold tickets from this scheme for general sale to the returns queue at a set time very shortly before each performance. I expect that's what happened when Craftymiss attended. I said here, months ago, that The Pajama Game isn't an obvious choice of play to encourage those aged 18 - 25 to attend the theatre (!!!), and Titan has given us the evidence!

#23 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:30 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 27 June 2013 - 03:19 PM, said:

I'd expect CFT to release any unsold tickets from this scheme for general sale to the returns queue at a set time very shortly before each performance. I expect that's what happened when Craftymiss attended.

I don't think so as when I booked (weeks in advance) the seats were shown as being already sold.  This wasn't a last minute ticket release which was why I was shocked. I totally agree about releasing unsold tix no matter what, but these weren't last minute. Tbh I've often wondered if anyone really checks who buys these tickets. I mean how would they know if I had bought an 18-25 ticket for my 17 yr old. I wouldn't do it as I dont break the rules, but really would they turn an oldie away that had a young person's ticket? The seat would be left empty then especially if it was minutes before show start. It's always bugged me. I know someone who buys Kids Week tickets and they aren't for a kid. They haven't been challenged as they told me FOH rarely look to closely. She said she'd just make an excuse that child couldn't come & if caught would pay the difference. I told her that I thought this was appalling; no wonder younger audiences don't get to see stuff

#24 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:49 PM

You have to book these tickets for yourself, as a member of a group of one to four people, all aged 18 - 25.

Tickets are held for collection - on the day of the performance from one hour before the production begins.

Appropriate ID (one per ticket) must be shown on collection.

That seems to prevent fraud at the ticket sales end. Maybe those early bookers correctly forecast a sellout show and executed a cunning, profitable plan of booking well ahead, collecting on the day and then touting their tickets at a mark-up? Unlikely. More likely, the ticket-bookers couldn't prove their age on the day, or maybe booked four but came as two, and so the tickets were released for general sale. I don't think it's fair of you to accuse the theatre of complicity in fraud when you didn't even enquire at the time.

#25 JaszyR91

JaszyR91

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Everything Musical, Theatrical and Literary!

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:56 PM

I'm 22 and while I do see a larger proportion of musicals than plays, I'm trying to amend that! Curious Incident is a great play for younger people to enjoy and when I went there was a large variety of ages :)
On the other hand, a couple of weeks ago I went alone to see the touring production of The Pitman Painters and I was the sole attendee under 50!
I feel that local theatre is the way to go in regards to seeing more plays. My local theatre puts on loads of productions and they do 16-26 y/o tickets for £15 which is a little more convenient than West End prices...
"And the last remnants time destroys"

My twitter account:
https://twitter.com/imjeanvaljean
Follow me if you want x

Upcoming shows: Pippin (Broadway), If/Then (Broadway), Water Babies (Curve, Leicester), A View From The Bridge (Young Vic), Les Miserables (West End), Birdland (Royal Court)

#26 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:58 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 27 June 2013 - 03:49 PM, said:

You have to book these tickets for yourself, as a member of a group of one to four people, all aged 18 - 25.

Tickets are held for collection - on the day of the performance from one hour before the production begins.

Appropriate ID (one per ticket) must be shown on collection.

That seems to prevent fraud at the ticket sales end. Maybe those early bookers correctly forecast a sellout show and executed a cunning, profitable plan of booking well ahead, collecting on the day and then touting their tickets at a mark-up? Unlikely. More likely, the ticket-bookers couldn't prove their age on the day, or maybe booked four but came as two, and so the tickets were released for general sale. I don't think it's fair of you to accuse the theatre of complicity in fraud when you didn't even enquire at the time.

I'm not saying the theatre was fraudulent but that people could be bucking the system. If I book a cheap ticket based on age ie over 60 or under 25 the theatre doesn't ask for ID at time of booking (you get a message saying it will be required). You get the tickets sent through the post then tip up 5 minutes before curtain up & unless FOH are v observant they may not realise what's on the ticket.  The only reason I didnt contact CFT is I didnt feel there was a way for them to stop it, but if as you say they don't get the ticket unless they physically show an age ID on collection then clearly this isn't the case. But some purchases can clearly be ripped off ie ATG theatre bookings.

#27 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:18 PM

You accused FOH of complicity in fraud by negligence in checking tickets.

One other point - the special 18 - 25 allocation is released one month before each production opens. You say you booked "weeks in advance" so maybe the seat was then unavailable because it was before this release date. That would tally with Titan's experience of the house being sold out except for within this 18 - 25 allocation. Do 18 - 25s even wear pajamas?

#28 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:33 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 27 June 2013 - 04:18 PM, said:

You accused FOH of complicity in fraud by negligence in checking tickets.

One other point - the special 18 - 25 allocation is released one month before each production opens. You say you booked "weeks in advance" so maybe the seat was then unavailable because it was before this release date. That would tally with Titan's experience of the house being sold out except for within this 18 - 25 allocation. Do 18 - 25s even wear pajamas?

Well in my experience FOH anywhere only take cursory glances at tix, I walked into NT thru wrong door yesterday having shown my ticket to a member of staff who directed me through it. The person on the door looked at my ticket & gave me directions to get there "straight through then on the left" I couldn't find my row. I went back out where upon the same FOH guy told me he didn't look properly and I should have been in the stalls where there is a row M!  

Just checked my diary & I booked PJ Game tix 7th May for show on 29th May so just over 3 weeks in advance, I didn't book these before general ticket release like the ones I had the previous week.  I think FOH varies depending on theatre tbh, if you walk through with a purpose then no one really stops you, hence the Kids Week ticket issues

#29 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:54 PM

View Postcraftymiss, on 27 June 2013 - 04:33 PM, said:

Well in my experience FOH anywhere only take cursory glances at tix

This is completely true: when I saw Uncle Vanya at the Vaudeville, I managed to get to my seat with a ticket for a completely different performance (I had day seated and asked for an evening ticket, but somehow ended up with an afternoon ticket by mistake). My own fault for not checking, but when someone came along to claim their seat the FOH staff looked at the ticket and simply assumed the same seat had been sold twice, rather than check the performance time on the ticket - it wasn't until they went to the box office to find me a new seat did anyone spot the issue. Thankfully I did get a new seat - Uncle Vanya wasn't that popular...

I buy the under 25 tickets for NT and Old Vic, and in fairness it's pot luck as to whether you get asked for ID or not. But even then you know they don't check the ID: when I buy alcohol and get ID'd I often ask them what my age is when they hand it back - no one has ever been able to tell me!
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#30 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3375 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:58 PM

yes it is true, including cft. foh never stop to check the ticket prices and who is using them. and to be fair if they did it would take forever to get people in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users