14 replies to this topic

#11 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:53 PM

Funny.  I believe the reference to Henry doing the same thing out of town is to you, xanderl.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#12 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3760 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:31 AM

Impressed by this. Great play, Henry v v good though not quite great... lacked a bit of depth here and there but I was still surprised by him- he's turning into a top stage actor.... Tanya Moodie superb but the best performance of the night comes from Ashley Zhangazha. I see Adrian Lester played the same role some years back in the West End. I hope he follows in his footsteps.

A beautifully lit, detailed design, nicely paced production. The Duchess is just right for it.

Bowing report since it's creating a stir: Henry and Moodie did a bow together after a company bow, then she stepped back and he took a solo bow. All left the stage, Henry returned. Solo bow, then full company bow.

Don't get how Moodie is on the third page of the programme biogs with a tiny picture, whilst Ako Mitchell and Peter Bankole (though both v strong) have big pictures on the second page. Doesn't seem fair to me, esp as their parts are smaller.

And thanks to lovely folk of the Duchess Box Office, I got upgraded from my front row seat (view looked ok from there actually) to a prime seat in the centre of row G. Look about 2/3s full tonight. A diverse audience too. Not just the white conservative middle classes which seem to make up a large proportion of the West End's play audiences. It's true that if you programme diverse stuff, your audience will change with it. This, and the YV, are prime examples.

#13 Lady Nijo

Lady Nijo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:40 AM

Sounds great. Have started collecting performances of his plays in the 10-play cycle. First was Joe Turner's Come and Gone at the Young Vic and now I must continue with Fences.

#14 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:50 PM

I haven't seen all the plays in the cycle but I've seen a few and, for me, Joe Turner's Come And Gone is the towering masterpiece  of the bunch.  Fences isn't as intense or as powerful as that but it's very good and should be seen.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#15 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:27 PM

Well, Arthur Miller it ain't. Someone up the thread says sprawling and I think that is right, set pieces separated by time, nothing unexpected, nothing revelatory. The last scene almost embarrasing and very mawkish. Lenny Henry ok, but despite some good facial intensity, his voice all on one note and all at one volume cept when it goes up a couple of times. Seen him in Comedy of Errors and now this and sorry, but he didn't impress me. I thought he was the weakest one on the stage. I saw Amen Corner last week and that was altogether in a higher league but I will be delighted to see more than one black actor on the Oliviers' short lists this year and I think that may well be the case - Amen, Fences and Othello, plenty to choose from there. Now let's have some black actors playing Noel Coward and Stoppard and maybe that newish guy Payne......if they want to of course.

Also tagged with Duchess Theatre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users