17 replies to this topic

#1 DrP

DrP

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:50 PM

Going on Wednesday, anybody seen it yet?

#2 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:20 PM

I haven't seen this production but I saw it in New York a couple of years ago with Mercedes Ruhl and Lilly Rabe and enjoyed it. It's a very good play with some nice twists and two fabulous roles for actresses.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#3 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:46 PM

This has had great reviews from Bath, inc 5* from Billington. I'm there on Saturday.

#4 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:02 PM

View Postmallardo, on 03 May 2013 - 02:42 PM, said:

I saw this play in New York a few years ago with Mercedes Ruhl and a radiantly wonderful Lilly Rabe. It's a strong piece if somewhat predictable - a dominating mother/fragile daughter scenario, a bit of a twist on The Heiress - with two great female roles. When I saw it the daughter ended up stealing the show - she has a great last scene.

I trust Mallardo's earlier post more than today's. It's the "if somewhat predictable" comment which is the killer for me.

#5 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:59 PM

LOL.  It's tough when your old comments come back to haunt you.  But I have to confess that the original comment is closer to the mark.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#6 Schuttep

Schuttep

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:28 AM

It's a fantastic play with a wonderful twist that brought an audible gasp - including from me!

Brilliantly realised. Go, go, go!
If I listed every show I'd seen since 1974 I'd get RSI.

Favourite Musicals: Blood Brothers; Brigadoon; Chicago; Chess; Chorus Line; Company; Evita; Follies; Godspell; Les Miserables; Little Night Music; Little Shop of Horrors; Mack and Mabel; Man of La Mancha; Merrily We Roll Along; Miss Saigon; Phantom of the Opera; Rent; Rocky Horror Show; South Pacific.

Favourite Plays: Beautiful Thing; Bent; Blithe Spirit; Cat on a Hot Tin Roof; Cherry Orchard; Dance of Death; Death of a Salesman; Endgame; Happy Days; Hedda Gabler; Henry IV (Parts I and II); Importance of Being Earnest; Little Foxes; Mother Courage; Private Lives; Shirley Valentine; Torch Song Trilogy; What the Butler Saw; Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?; Wild Duck.

#7 DrP

DrP

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:28 PM

Yes I also really enjoyed it

#8 Parsley

Parsley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:44 PM

I have booked for this in a few weeks.

Lots of cheap tickets available but I noted the excellent reviews from Bath and figured I must see.

Having said that it was the other posters on the board that really swayed me towards it.

Thanks! :D

#9 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:06 PM

I want to see it too so I give formal notice that if anyone posts spoilers I will hunt them down and kill them

#10 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:59 AM

View Postmallardo, on 03 May 2013 - 02:42 PM, said:

I saw this play in New York a few years ago with Mercedes Ruhl  and a radiantly wonderful Lilly Rabe. It's a strong piece if somewhat predictable - a dominating mother/fragile daughter scenario, a bit of a twist on The Heiress - with two great female roles. When I saw it the daughter ended up stealing the show - she has a great last scene.

You must have a crystal ball Mallardo, for I found the twists in the least bit expected. I had an idea at the interval as to how I thought it would go- I was totally wrong.

It's excellent- a neat and elegant production by David Grindley (even if I had the occasional issue with the blocking), and very well cast. Diana Quick is wonderful as the Jewish mother - manipulative, eagle-eyed... a fascinating character. And Emily Taaffe and  Luke Allen-Gale don't overplay it. They're excellent, portraying a relationship which could be seen as melodramatic. There are some brilliantly fleshed out parts in there.

I think you've seen the same production Mallardo, albeit with a different cast. Grindley directed it in NY, and then this year has revisited it at Bath before the St James.

Far from full, as now seems to always be the case with the St James.
Front row is £15 though- best view in the house.

Also tagged with St James Theatre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users