17 replies to this topic

#11 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:35 AM

I was really looking forward to this on the basis of the reviews from Bath but was horribly disappointed and found my patience sorely tried.  I expect, however, that mine will be the sole dissenting voice, though I have read a new review which awarded the production "only" 3 stars.  This seems nearer the mark to me.  Well-acted yes, but the material was bizarre and not to my taste.

#12 theatrepaul

theatrepaul

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:46 PM

I thought it was excellent. A compelling drama, cleverly written that keeps you enthralled from beginning to end. A relatively simple but highly effective staging and the ensemble cast are all top notch. Highly recommended.

#13 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:36 AM

Enjoyed this at matinee performance. Good casting and performances without being spectacular. Particularly enjoyed the mother and daughter. Play had echoes of Tennessee Williams for me here and there.

Was amused by the deathtrap of a theatre.....very steep stairs for the old people and as you shuffle along the row to get to your seat there is a nasty gap of about 4 inches from the backs of the row below you can drop down....a couple of elderly people managed to slip down. Didn't find the leg room an issue, but I am quite short and I had a "corner" seat C21 so perhaps a bit more room. The rake is so steep....by row N you must feel as though you are in a balcony!

Hated what they had done with the foyer and bar....marble everywhere (what is that staircase?!) ....and waiters to seat you, even in the bar....pretentious or what! Give me the Bush theatre communal areas  or the shabby chic of the National over this puffed up effort any day. The pub next door is quite nice.

#14 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3760 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:38 AM

View PostLatecomer, on 09 August 2013 - 07:36 AM, said:

Hated what they had done with the foyer and bar....marble everywhere (what is that staircase?!) ....and waiters to seat you, even in the bar....pretentious or what!

And then they tell you off for occupying a table if you only order a drink....

I agree with you about the rake- I wouldn't sit anywhere other than the first 3 or 4 rows. Mind you Trafalgar Studio 1 is similar though there if you're sat near the front, you can enter lower down rather than tackle a perilously steep staircase.

#15 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2098 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:59 AM

Thanks to both of you for reminding me how much I hate the St James :)
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#16 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:40 AM

I went last night to the final performance and it was almost full - nice to see this theatre full for once! as to the piece, I really liked it, some great performances from a man appearing dripping wet out of lake to the older woman. the ending reminded me a little of Eugene Onegin. This was my first Richard Greenberg play, What should I see next? ta :)

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#17 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:18 PM

View PostReich, on 11 August 2013 - 09:40 AM, said:

I went last night to the final performance and it was almost full - nice to see this theatre full for once! as to the piece, I really liked it, some great performances from a man appearing dripping wet out of lake to the older woman. the ending reminded me a little of Eugene Onegin. This was my first Richard Greenberg play, What should I see next? ta :)

You're so right about Eugene Onegin.  Greenberg must have been aware of that and had it in mind.

Greenberg is a prolific playwright and a good one.  His "Three Days of Rain" with James McAvoy was excellent when it played the Apollo in a fine Jamie Lloyd production a few years ago.

"Take Me Out" - set in a baseball team locker room - is probably his most performed play.  I believe the Donmar gave it it's premier production.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#18 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:07 PM

View Postmallardo, on 11 August 2013 - 02:18 PM, said:

"Take Me Out" - set in a baseball team locker room - is probably his most performed play.  I believe the Donmar gave it it's premier production.
Ohhh I forgot about the baseball one, a friend of mine saw it at the Donmar and still talks about the shower scene. But after that he talks about how the good play was! According to Wiki he had written quite a bit for TV but none of it is available on Lovefilm

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

Also tagged with St James Theatre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users