13 replies to this topic

#1 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:19 PM

Booked for this. 30mins, starts at 10pm. 7 dates only July 25th - August 2nd. They finally tempted me to the shed!

#2 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3760 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:22 PM

I'd love to go, but it coincides almost precisely with my family summer holiday. Typical.

#3 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:24 PM

View PostPharaoh, on 02 July 2013 - 05:22 PM, said:

I'd love to go, but it coincides almost precisely with my family summer holiday. Typical.

Your family had a good run....

#4 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:58 PM

"The National Theatre presents The Shed: A temporary venue celebrating new theatre that is adventurous, ambitious and unexpected."

This premiere production of Sea Wall was first shown in 2008 at the Bush Theatre as part of the Broken Space Season and was seen again in 2009 and 2012. Yes, a five-year-old production is indeed "unexpected" for The Shed.

#5 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:23 PM

I don't mind if it's not new...it sounds like fun! And I haven't seen it!

#6 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:30 PM

It was very well received, and it's great to see it being wheeled out in a prominent venue, but it contradicts the stated purpose of The Shed, which only has a limited life of less than a year.

The NT is coproducing this run at The Shed with Paines Plough, who toured Sea Wall last year as one part of London, and I wonder if the NT offered PP this slot (a late evening run of seven nights in The Shed) and this revived production was PP's choice to fill it. It seems an odd choice for a supposed season of new, adventurous, ambitious and unexpected theatre, given that PP is always struggling financially to produce a backlog of new work.

#7 Poly

Poly

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:29 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 02 July 2013 - 09:30 PM, said:

It was very well received, and it's great to see it being wheeled out in a prominent venue, but it contradicts the stated purpose of The Shed, which only has a limited life of less than a year.

The NT is coproducing this run at The Shed with Paines Plough, who toured Sea Wall last year as one part of London, and I wonder if the NT offered PP this slot (a late evening run of seven nights in The Shed) and this revived production was PP's choice to fill it. It seems an odd choice for a supposed season of new, adventurous, ambitious and unexpected theatre, given that PP is always struggling financially to produce a backlog of new work.

The Shed has two other productions on those dates, the young people's Romeo and Juliet mornings and afternoons, The Hush in the evenings. SeaWall doesn't take the place of a scheduled production and it's not part of the Shed programming in that sense. More likely, the people behind SeaWall - including Andrew Scott who is much more famous now than when he did it last - wanted to do it, many people want to see it and the Shed was accommodating (and a very good venue for that play).
And it's truly quite special.

#8 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:19 PM

If you're right, it could be the first of a series of late-evening off-message add-ons to the official The Shed programme. We can expect old thesps reciting Shakespeare sonnets, Simon Russell Beale reading the telephone directory, etc., etc. Time will tell.

#9 Poly

Poly

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:49 PM

So has anyone gone yet? It was as I remembered from the Bush, that is fresh and unexpectedly raw.

#10 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:50 AM

Going tonight....then back to Oxford. Must be mad!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users