18 replies to this topic

#1 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:33 PM

Nick Hytner has submitted a formal objection to the Southbank Centre's redevelopment plans! He should team up with the skateboarders maybe

http://www.whatsonst...d=homepage_news
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#2 EmiCardiff

EmiCardiff

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:26 PM

He should get down there and get signatures on their petition with them.

Seriously though I'm glad Hytner is objecting it might lend some weight to the fight, not sure what others think but I want that skate park preserved and also don't think much in general of the redevelopment plans...
Blog with occasional reviews: http://fixedpointint...blogspot.co.uk/

Twitter with occasional theatre reviews and general nerdiness: @EmiGarside

#3 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1666 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:13 PM

I am also glad he has objected...I signed petition there on Saturday. I like the skateboard area...it's unique and adds interest to the area and gets in no-ones way. Makes a change from the rich people sitting in the roof garden at Southbank paying £40 for a bottle of fizzy wine.....

#4 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:05 PM

Really object to the fact that the Southbank Centre spammed all its members this evening telling them to sign their petition in favour of the redevelopment - particularly since the email only mentioned the skateboarders' complaints and made no mention of the issues other nearby institutions have with the scheme.

Prompted me to go off to the Lambeth Council website and object, which possibly isn't the response they were hoping for.

#5 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3750 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:20 PM

I signed the skateboarder's petition a few weeks back. I'm no skater myself (ironically I was part of a mini-campaign to prevent a skatezone being built near where I live, grumpy me), but I do like it on the Southbank. It adds a vibe to the place, and fits in nicely with all the architecture.

I say good on Hytner, though I suspect he'll get some slack especially having just fought for his own major redevelopment!

#6 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:41 PM

The NT's objection, formally submitted by Nicholas Hytner, Director to Lambeth Council, has nothing at all to do with the skateboard zone. The WoS news article summarises the objection well, and includes a link to the public comments on Southbank Centre's planning application. It's worth scrolling down to read in full the NTs objection (Comment submitted date: Tue 02 Jul 2013) which appends the relevant planning policy which supports the objection.

#7 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:30 AM

As much as anything the new Southbank Building is ugly as sin, and Hytner's concerns all seem completely founded.  I propose we protest by skating to the theatre.  Esp. if Hytner, SRB, Alan Bennett et al join in.

#8 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5140 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:14 AM

Let's face it, they messed up one of the most valuable sites in Europe when they followed the brutalist architecture of the concrete block. The Festival Hall , an earlier design escaped the horror and is actually quite pleasant and faces the river appropriately though with poor and a less attractive access from the 'back'. The entire space has been haphazardly planned and so some spaces such as the skate boarding one , have organically developed with use. I am staggered that the planners of the new development did not consult the National Theatre as the whole area on that side of the river is so important and so valuable that everyone on that side and indeed most of us Londoners should have a say in what is put there.

We all know the story of how Southwark council wanted to put a parking area for refuse trucks on the site of the Globe, a site which is now one of the most vibrant and probably most profitable sites along the River. It took a lot of effort to make them see sense. Brilliant architecture is rare; iconic buildings do get built and there are a few in London. But good architecture, the stuff we need to live in and work in and go for entertainment in, is rarer! I'm not encouraged by the drawing reproduced in the WOS article. It looks like something my grandson constructs with his foam blocks, one on top of another. ( tho he may indeed be a gifted architect one day!)

I only hope there is better consultation and some serious thought before people with ideas but very little sense spend our hard earned dosh.

#9 musicals fan

musicals fan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:45 AM

Must admit I don't like the sound of the word "redevelopment" because for the past 30 years or so it means yet more "modern" or "Post-Modern" so called architecture, but any scheme that gets rid of the skateboarders gets my vote.

#10 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:22 AM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 03 July 2013 - 10:41 PM, said:

The NT's objection, formally submitted by Nicholas Hytner, Director to Lambeth Council, has nothing at all to do with the skateboard zone.

Absolutely- its a shame really that Hytner's objection didn't come earlier in the consultation (which closes today) - the publicity about this all being Southbank Centre vs Skateboarders has obscured some of the other very real problems with the scheme (eg blocking off  the pedestrian access route from the Hayward to the National in the glass box). I'd encourage people to read Hytner's comment to get the full picture.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users