18 replies to this topic

#11 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3750 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:42 AM

All credit to the skateboarders for making themselves heard, more than anyone.

The artist's impressions all look very nice, but artists can make anything look nice, can't they? The plans just haven't been thought through, or more importantly, haven't been thought through with the whole of the Southbank 'team'. The NT, RFH, Hayward etc need to sit down together and come up with something which will work for all of them, and clearly they haven't. It's like they all just went off, came up with their own thing, and submitted their planning applications. The NT's has gone through, we wait on the RFH.  I can see why the RFH wants to redevelop... similar reasons to the NT no doubt.... but their massive glass box + other things is clearly not the way about it. it seems to segregate the whole area. It's already an architectural mish mash and overbuilt. Everyone did their own thing, and are still doing that.

#12 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3373 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:26 AM

Skateboarders Petitiion

https://www.change.o...bank-skate-park

#13 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:43 AM

View PostPharaoh, on 04 July 2013 - 07:42 AM, said:

...the whole of the Southbank 'team'. The NT, RFH, Hayward etc need to sit down together...

There's some public confusion about the separate identities of the arts organisations on the South Bank:

1) Southbank Centre, which has submitted this planning application, is one single organisation: "Southbank Centre occupies a 21-acre site in the midst of London’s vibrant cultural quarter on the South Bank of the Thames. Southbank Centre includes Royal Festival Hall, Queen Elizabeth Hall, Purcell Room, the Hayward Gallery, and the Saison Poetry Library. As well as these venues, there are restaurants, cafes, bars and shops to enjoy."

2) The NT is a separate organisation.

3) The National Film Theatre is part of the British Film Institute, which is a third separate organisation, The NFT was plonked between Southbank Centre and the NT. The NT's objections to the current planning application by Southbank Centre make some references to the earlier effect on the NT of the NFT building.

#14 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:06 AM

The NFT's side entramce has actually made the two appear closer I think, the South Bank's change appears way over the top however, on the plans it took me ages to work out where the NT actually was. The massive glass box that is the main problem, it will literally and figiratively overshadow the surrounding areas. The last few times I've been there it's also been noticeable how the skateboarders are making more of their presence, more like a piece of performance. I'm with them and Hytner on this one.

#15 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5140 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

If the skateboarders can stop this development and make the planners think again, then go skate! But I'm a realist and I don't think they will. I can't see the population coming out in Trafalgar Square for this one.
Nice to see Pn2 that you agree with me; I often feel I am howling at the moon ( or moaning a lot to nearest person) the Southbank area and thanks HG for clarifying the organisations there, must be developed as a whole. And access to the river bank, views of the river and integration of areas should be priorities.

#16 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

I objected a few weeks ago. Mostly as it was obvious that moving the skaters on to land owned by network rail meant that they wouldnt have the space for very long.

I'm really glad that both English Heritage and The national have come down on the dissenting side.
It really felt like a steamroller before.

#17 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:46 AM

English Heritage's objection is, astonishingly, substantially based on the skateboard zone, which they have declared to be an historic Undercroft area with insufficiently understood communal value. The skateboarders have applied for "village green" status for this undercroft, which would apparently protect it from its planned destruction by Southbank Centre.

Southbank Centre's Executive Director has directly responded to the NT's, quite different, objections (also supported by EH) by insisting that the planned overshadowing extension "will provide a vibrant and welcoming face and much-improved connections to the National Theatre, BFI Southbank and beyond." He doesn't explain in exactly what sense making a currently open route inaccessible after dark is a "much-improved connection." And he ignores the NT's objection that the planned extension's  "vibrant and welcoming [in-your-]face" will block off the view of the NT from one side.

#18 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:43 PM

I see the SBC has now caved in asked Lambeth Council for "more time to review" the scheme.

http://www.bdonline....5057345.article
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#19 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1024 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:54 PM

http://www.guardian....outhbank-centre

- a bit more in-depth than the WoS article.

I’m all for the skateboarders and I’m also for each organisation to remain their individual identity. Wasn’t it Lord Rogers who proposed to put a giant glass wave over the different sites in time for the Millennium? Thankfully Denys Lasdun objected and saved the day. What I really like about London’s architectural style is the constant varying styles which many other European cities can’t claim to have.

I’ve only seen a few pictures of the development and I quite like it and I’m for it. Two neighbors fighting over an extension and that has the potential to block daylight is little like a scene from an Acknborn! Seriously though, The RFH site does need some serious development to bring it all together. I'm sure the access routes to the NT can be refigured as at the moment they manky. AND the NT will still function brilliantly with a bit less light and the views of Big Ben.

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users