Parsley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:17 AM

Must say I am surprised at this a play choice for the season and venue

Liked it at RC and the new casting is impressive

But I do not think they are going to be able to repeat the ticket success of Macbeth

Even HotHouse seems to be discounting

And I have to add, that the ticket prices (the ones they think they can get away with charging) are outrageous

Honestly, for a play that was at RC upstairs I think this is totally overpriced

#2 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1666 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:25 AM

Like the sound of this...haven't seen it and Harry H-P is one of my favourites! :)
And there's always cheap Mondays!

#3 Parsley

Parsley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:29 AM

Still, when you compare it to the Grandage Season the prices are totally out of proportion for what you are getting.

I am not saying that itself has been a totally flawless success, but at least it has been affordable for EVERYONE, giving people the chance to see wonderful actors for a genuinely good price.

As a result they have had full houses for many performances.

I would hardly count Jamie Lloyd in the same league that he can try to emulate this model of WE "seasons".

And reading this on the ATG website made me p*** myself laughing.

Due to commitments during the period of 19 August to 12 September, the producers cannot guarantee that the role of Sylvia will be performed by Hayley Atwell. In any case of unavailability, the performance will go ahead as scheduled with a suitable cover in the role.

Why on earth bother to cast someone who may be off for over 3 weeks??!!

#4 Abby

Abby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:09 AM

Thought this was a great play and would love to see it again - but only if it discounts. I won't bang on again about how much I hate the Trafalgar.

First saw the play during an early preview and ended up sitting next to the writer, who was obviously feeling a bit tortured so I felt I had to be really demonstrative about how much I was enjoying it!

#5 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:49 AM

Choosing the next play at the last moment, as in the Jamie Lloyd season, is much preferable to announcing a nailed-down programme up to two years in advance, as in the Michael Grandage season. It means that the choice of play can respond to the mood of the moment, that lead actors may be available for the next three or four months who wouldn't have committed two years ahead, that runs may be open to extension in case of mass demand, that future plays may be modestly budgeted if one production doesn't achieve good sales, and that the general public can get caught up in the buzz of a play on now, as opposed to keen theatregoers getting buzzed up two years in advance and grasping all the cheap tickets.

As for high ticket prices, premium prices help to make possible the bargain tickets.

#6 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2078 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:59 AM

Are the prices the same as for The Hothouse? Ludicrous thing there was they ramped up some of the prices higher than Macbeth - for Macbeth the back two or three rows were cheaper, but for Hothouse only the back row was low price. They then ended up upgrading the entire back row to the front for some performances!

Wouldn't mind seeing this but based on The Hothouse experience will wait for offers.

Edited to add ...

Yep, same as The Hothouse! £24.50 for back row of stalls, rest are £54.50 with a huge chunk of £65 premium seats. Given The Hothouse had a more high-profile cast and ended up discounting, no rush to book for this one.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#7 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:00 PM

It has a £35 preview price for 8-10 august.

#8 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

View Postxanderl, on 05 July 2013 - 10:59 AM, said:

Are the prices the same as for The Hothouse? Ludicrous thing there was they ramped up some of the prices higher than Macbeth - for Macbeth the back two or three rows were cheaper, but for Hothouse only the back row was low price. They then ended up upgrading the entire back row to the front for some performances!

Wouldn't mind seeing this but based on The Hothouse experience will wait for offers.

Edited to add ...

Yep, same as The Hothouse! £24.50 for back row of stalls, rest are £54.50 with a huge chunk of £65 premium seats. Given The Hothouse had a more high-profile cast and ended up discounting, no rush to book for this one.

Greed again
But is  jamie Lloyd's season not only rivalling his mentors at the coward but surpassing it?

#9 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1391 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:33 PM

Not seen The Pride but I thought it was going to be Apologia that was the next TT play, maybe they had issues casting it and opted for The Pride instead.

#10 Ruperto

Ruperto

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:06 PM

I totally agree with Parsley that they are taking the p*** with a) the pricing of this, and B) the potential unavailability of the lead actress for nearly a month. It's a play I'm quite keen to see, and I enjoyed The Faith Machine at the Royal Court, but the date I had in mind falls during the period when Hayley Atwell may or may not be there...

Also, I would have thought that in terms of the economics of the thing - ie ticket sales - it would have been much better to do a Grandage and open up the booking yonks in advance, so they get in the cash from people like me nice and early. I'm sure I'm not the only one on here who's already got quite a lot booked up for late summer and autumn, and my diary - and bank balance - may struggle to accommodate this. Making an announcement in early July about something that opens in early August, just when loads of people are going on holiday, seems really weird to me - are they on some kind of commercial deathwish??! You could probably get away with it if it was a play starring Jude Law/Cumberbatch etc. Anyway, good luck to 'em. (I'm sure I'll still end up going...)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users