Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Interests:PJ and Duncan

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:14 PM

Yo

I'm going to see this 2moro. I have unresolved issues with my sexuality. Am I going to cry at this? I cried at Chimerica

#132 Boob

Boob

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 03:11 PM

Yup.

#133 Monteverdi

Monteverdi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:14 AM

The show is in mighty fine form at the Manchester Opera House - the wrong venue but I'm grateful to see this excellent production, and for just £25 too, on the second row. Excellence from every department.

#134 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1223 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:59 AM

The production must have looked completely lost at the Opera House.

#135 Monteverdi

Monteverdi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:52 PM

Yes it was dwarfed in the Opera House, but we were all in the front rows, and they'd curtained off half f h stalls but they still couldn't make I feel like an intimate studio piece. Of all the theatres in Manchester, why this one? t seems a half heated short tour. I was pleased though to see it - my only criticism was the ending - well there wasn't one.

#136 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1391 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 04:07 AM

ATG don't have a venue suitable for plays in Manchester hence why touring plays end up at the Opera House. The show was only planned to do a short tour, I imagine it did better last week in Brighton and likely next week when it goes to Richmond,

#137 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:59 PM

View PostMonteverdi, on 24 January 2014 - 10:52 PM, said:

Yes it was dwarfed in the Opera House, but we were all in the front rows, and they'd curtained off half f h stalls but they still couldn't make I feel like an intimate studio piece. Of all the theatres in Manchester, why this one? t seems a half heated short tour. I was pleased though to see it - my only criticism was the ending - well there wasn't one.

ATG production in ATG theatre at a very quiet time of the year for tours, especially plays.

From your report, it sounds as though ATG planned to play this to a physically shrunken auditorium of the centre stalls.

Obviously this short tour isn't intended to offer an intimate studio experience. It's an opportunity to test the play and production on a larger stage. Over the years, quite a number of productions have transferred successfully from the 80-seat Theatre Upstairs at the Royal Court to much larger West End theatres.

#138 spendleb

spendleb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:38 AM

I really enjoyed it without it blowing me away if that makes sense and the ending was way too abrupt, actors were all uniformly excellent though.   I saw it at the Opera House last Friday night.

#139 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:41 PM

View PostPharaoh, on 15 November 2013 - 12:31 PM, said:

Yes it was, and Apologia was supposed to be done instead of The Pride. But the 2 that I heard which were cancelled were neither of those....
how do you hear these things? useful for the rest of us though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users