Parsley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:00 PM

View PostJamiem, on 05 July 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

Greed again
But is  jamie Lloyd's season not only rivalling his mentors at the coward but surpassing it?

In terms of casting I would hardly say the Trafalgar Season is surpassing anything in the WE (let alone the MG season).

The Macbeth was sold out for one single reason and I think Peter and Alice (despite being a terrible play) created as much as (if not more) of a ticket demand.

It was that very Macbeth that was the most disappointing and underpowered that I have ever had the misfortune to see (having seen it at least 9 times). It ruined my favourite play for life.

The production quality and standards at Trafalgar Transformed are actually below that of The Donmar yet the prices are up to 6 times as high.

Fine that JL has been "tutored" by and worked with first class directors.

Yet what is he offering that is exciting, or fresh or new in this WE season?....nothing as far as I can see.

Personally I do not think he has the skill or vision to offer a truly rewarding WE experience and is much better off in theatres like the NT and Donmar.

And if they are trying to compete with "names" in the WE then (IMHO) that has also been a massive flop.

Nothing to rival Helen Mirren, Judi Dench, Jude Law and Daniel Radcliffe.

In all respects the Trafalgar season has been underwhelming, unglamorous and boring and from the outset it seemed like a pallid copy of other various "seasons" that directors have mounted.

And the venue is absolutely revolting.

I would have had much more interest and favour if they had presented a well priced selection of new plays (but that might have been too brave) in the vein that The Donmar did in studios 2.

#12 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2531 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:18 AM

The Donmar has lower prices because it's publicly subsidised.

From reviews I've read, both Macbeth and The Hothouse had a fresher, less reverent approach than usual. They sounded like the polar opposite of those ghastly Duncan Weldon Theatre Royal Haymarket productions I remember from about thirty years ago where famous name actors sat in a circle droning Bernard Shaw plays.

Why can't a good play premiered Upstairs at the Royal Court be subsequently presented to a larger audience?

#13 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2086 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:00 AM

Looks like this is another massive hit!

Looking at Theatremonkey there are 9 separate offers at the moment, mostly covering the whole of August with the exception of Saturday evenings - best price is £35.50 for top price seats.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#14 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:07 AM

I am going on Thursday to first performance - got top price ticket from Lastminute.com. £37. Looking forward to it! Will let you know what I think!

#15 alec_e10

alec_e10

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:23 AM

Going on Monday week - we got £15 seats in the stalls which was a great offer
Would be interested to hear from people who see the play in the next week or so

#16 theatrepaul

theatrepaul

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:00 AM

Have to say I was very surprised to read the disclaimer about Hayley Attwell's potential "unavailability" for a large chunk of the run. Why cast an actress & promote the show using her name, when her availability can't be guaranteed for many performances? Weird

#17 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2086 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:09 AM

Have they confirmed her availability (or otherwise) yet?

#18 Deal J

Deal J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:51 PM

Yes I was surprised by that too. The vague warning message has pretty much led me to conclude I won't be seeing her in it.
My theatre blog: http://dealj.wordpress.com

#19 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:44 PM

Quite clear on their website at the bottom of the ticket info....

http://www.thepridew...ide.php#tickets

So hopefully this means I see Hayley! I'll report back!

#20 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2086 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:07 PM

Would be clearer if they put it on the "cast and creative" page under the big photo of Hayley Attwell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users