Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1392 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:24 PM

View PostParsley, on 05 July 2013 - 05:20 PM, said:

Do not get me wrong, I liked it.

9to5 was fun and well performed (Natalie Casey was off the night I went)

But it just has no place in a WE house.

Not in the current form it is in.

There's a number of shows I think dont deserve a place in the West End but I guess they must make some money to clog up theatres for months or years.

#12 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1283 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:48 PM

It is true that the west end has become a graveyard where cheap looking shows with awful production values- Spamalot , Thriller ... Can clog up a theatre for months in place of higher quality shows. It's really depressing. The west end should stand for excellence and quality in EVERY theatre.

#13 n3mis3s

n3mis3s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:02 PM

Bonnie Langford said on her bbc2 radio interview the other day. in time it will come. and she will no doubt reprise her "roz"

Piccidilly has jersey boys post DD - so thats a no, id assume Savoy...

it needs tweaking before a run in town but it will be a nice seller. sitting nice with whats on. theres market for it.

#14 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:51 PM

View Postn3mis3s, on 05 July 2013 - 06:02 PM, said:

Bonnie Langford said on her bbc2 radio interview the other day. in time it will come. and she will no doubt reprise her "roz"

Piccidilly has jersey boys post DD - so thats a no, id assume Savoy...

it needs tweaking before a run in town but it will be a nice seller. sitting nice with whats on. theres market for it.

DD is not selling at all - see Baz - so who knows?

#15 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1283 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:53 PM

Baz doesn't say what show...?

I thought it might be The Bodyguard

#16 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1392 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:01 PM

View PostMrBarnaby, on 05 July 2013 - 05:48 PM, said:

It is true that the west end has become a graveyard where cheap looking shows with awful production values- Spamalot , Thriller ... Can clog up a theatre for months in place of higher quality shows. It's really depressing. The west end should stand for excellence and quality in EVERY theatre.

It is pretty sad that the Playhouse has become a theatre for hosting cheap shows like Petticoats and Spamalot, same with the Lyric which is a great playhouse stuck with Thriller for what seems like a long time.

#17 Parsley

Parsley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:53 PM

I really think the standard of musicals in the WE is in the pits over the last few years. Just look at the Olivier nominations and it makes one despair. Even the revivals aren't up to all that much.

Matilda is probably the only genuine recent exception to all this (BOM also in a way but not really a new musical and was SO anticipated it is sort of in a special category of its own!)

The WE is (thankfully) more and more dominated by plays and I have to say I have always been a play person. I do attend all the musicals, mainly out of habit and curiosity, but they are usually a let down.

It is nice to see things like Curious Incident with "house full" notices for a change, rather than some awful musical.

There is a big run of musicals coming up though: Color Purple, The Light Princess, The Commitments, Scottsboro Boys, From Here To Eternity, Stephen Ward, X Factor, Miss Saigon

Perhaps this will turn the fortunes of musicals in London around.

God knows they need some help!

#18 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1392 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:13 PM

When it comes to plays, London is second to none but there has been some great revivals like Singin in the Rain, Merrilly we Roll Along etc so not all bad news on the musical, this year has been better for new shows either from Broadway or originated here, we do need to get rid of the dead wood that have been in the West End for too long and replace them with better shows.

#19 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:17 PM

Can you list these dead wood shows .. Just interested! For me thriller and rock of ages are at the top of the list

#20 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1392 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:21 PM

View Postmrtheatre123, on 05 July 2013 - 10:17 PM, said:

Can you list these dead wood shows .. Just interested! For me thriller and rock of ages are at the top of the list

Thriller is defiantly top of the list followed by Let it Be, Rock of Ages and Spamalot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users