42 replies to this topic

#31 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:41 AM

because ive been in and also seen many of these audiences and the vast majority (as you said in your very own post) are getting what they wanted and paid for...a good nights entertainment. plus if people werent enjoying it shows wouldnt last, they wouldnt return to venues ans continue to sell out, many people repeat business.

also these touring shows are between 30 to 40 so not west end prices. its only the big west end shows that are in the 50 bracket. and even that is lower than west end where top price is now as good as 70. plus you save all the extras that a trip to london costs.

#32 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:06 PM

View PostTitan, on 06 July 2013 - 11:41 AM, said:

because ive been in and also seen many of these audiences and the vast majority (as you said in your very own post) are getting what they wanted and paid for...a good nights entertainment. plus if people werent enjoying it shows wouldnt last, they wouldnt return to venues ans continue to sell out, many people repeat business.

also these touring shows are between £30 to 40 so not west end prices. its only the big west end shows that are in the £50 bracket. and even that is lower than west end where top price is now as good as £70. plus you save all the extras that a trip to london costs.

Very very few shows sell out
Shows return in the main because there is a shortage of shows, hence the 'road' problem in America
Your assumption of an audiences 'enjoyment' is based on you visiting one performance every week? many on the south coast if I remember rightly, - its v different in other areas of the country and I don't see how that allows a general assumption that the majority of people are enjoying them

DD is charging tops of £70 in lots of touring theatres - trust me you wouldn't want to be producing shows either side of DD as audiences can't afford then to see as many shows as they could - there is only so much money to go round- and that's getting less

#33 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:25 PM

well you assume wrong. various locations around the country and multiple viewings

#34 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

I want to see this so hope it does get z west end run. I can't see DD making any money in the west end this time, so maybe the replacement can be replaced?
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#35 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3745 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:23 PM

I saw this on Monday evening. Enjoyable, to some degree, but it needs a lot of work.

It looks cheap - very cheap. The set is just cardboard cutouts, and even then a couple of flying cues were missed. No excuse for a show which has been touring for months. And terrible sound balance. The collage of photos from the time is so cliche nowadays. Dreamboats and Petticoats, Grease.... they all do it. Don't try and make it socially relevant: it's a fun, kitsch and camp show. Embrace that. The musical numbers are not big or spectacular. You cannot charge West End prices for this.

The book is severely underwritten, even if the plot is good fun (a totally unsubtle championing of feminism). The key romance comes from nowhere. We get our big duet, and it's never spoken of again until a brief summing up at the end by a virtual Dolly Parton. She should be scrapped. It's cringing. And the final plea- "please recommend this show to all your friends" is desperate. When the old woman starts to sing 9 to 5 in the finale my head fell into my hands.

The score isn't too bad: Get Out and Stay Out, Shine Like the Sun, Around Here and the titular 9 to 5 are catchy numbers. The rest is a bit bland and forgettable.

The performances are the best thing about it. The three central women- Jackie Clune, Amy Lennox and Natalie Casey - are very good indeed. They give the show its much needed heart.

#36 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:42 PM

Oh dear, sounds like I might avoid this one...

#37 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:55 PM

Piccadilly in November if sales don't pick up on DD

#38 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:48 AM

View PostPharaoh, on 10 July 2013 - 07:23 PM, said:

I saw this on Monday evening. Enjoyable, to some degree, but it needs a lot of work.

It looks cheap - very cheap. The set is just cardboard cutouts, and even then a couple of flying cues were missed. No excuse for a show which has been touring for months. And terrible sound balance. The collage of photos from the time is so cliche nowadays. Dreamboats and Petticoats, Grease.... they all do it. Don't try and make it socially relevant: it's a fun, kitsch and camp show. Embrace that. The musical numbers are not big or spectacular. You cannot charge West End prices for this.

The book is severely underwritten, even if the plot is good fun (a totally unsubtle championing of feminism). The key romance comes from nowhere. We get our big duet, and it's never spoken of again until a brief summing up at the end by a virtual Dolly Parton. She should be scrapped. It's cringing. And the final plea- "please recommend this show to all your friends" is desperate. When the old woman starts to sing 9 to 5 in the finale my head fell into my hands.

The score isn't too bad: Get Out and Stay Out, Shine Like the Sun, Around Here and the titular 9 to 5 are catchy numbers. The rest is a bit bland and forgettable.

The performances are the best thing about it. The three central women- Jackie Clune, Amy Lennox and Natalie Casey - are very good indeed. They give the show its much needed heart.

Agree the cast make it. Tuesday in Canterbury it looked  practically full from the stalls  Audience was on its feet at the end.  I can think of some incoming and existing WE shows that may  struggle to do either..   Younger audience than  a lot of current theatre audiences too - which looks a necessary investment in the future given the aging  audience many shows now attract.

#39 bradleyconnor

bradleyconnor

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:30 AM

Think I'm going to watch this in Manchester, very cheap seats
Musicals/Plays seen -
2011 - The WIZ (Leeds)
2012 - Two (Manchester), Chicago UK Tour (Manchester), Grease UK Tour (Manchester), Blood Brothers UK Tour (Manchester)
2013 - Billy Elliot (London) x2, Shrek The Musical (London), Matilda (London), Wicked (London), Hairspray UK Tour (Leeds), Priscilla Queen of The Dessert UK Tour (Bradford)
2014 - Les Miserables (London), I Cant Sing! (London)

#40 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:33 AM

Agree it's a mediocre show but when I saw it, some months ago in Richmond - same cast - the audience pretty much ate it up. The set was simple but I did not think it was embarrassingly so.  And as for Dolly's interjections from above, I thought they worked.

I can see a limited run in the West End.  It's a feel-good show and will certainly have a better word of mouth than the current occupant of the Piccadilly.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users