3 replies to this topic

#1 Parsley

Parsley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:46 PM

I know that Mint is finishing tonight, but I saw it yesterday evening and simply had to post how extraordinary Sam Troughton in in this play.

I think the weekly rep has improved with each week that passes and I also feel the plays are getting more structured and complete as a whole.

I shall miss the ensemble when the 6 weeks are up.

Also went to the "Playwright at your table" and ended up in the basement (I think under the stage of the JTD).

Was really anxious to get a "good playwright" and was really surprised (and pleased) to get James Graham, who read one of his early plays. I had been a bit worried I would not be able to pay attention for 90 minutes but I needn't have feared.
It was funny, entertaining and most engaging...and the playwright was lovely too!

Lovely way to spend a morning and nice to get a (small) insight into theatre from a completely different perspective.

The plays downstairs may not have been the fastest to shift tickets (which I think just shows how ignorant audiences are of new work) but (for me) the Open Court has been a massive success and is totally in keeping with the RC manifesto.

#2 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2082 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:46 AM

I've only been to one of these ("The President Will Come to See You"), mainly because its difficult to co-ordinate for things that are only on for a week. Maybe rotating the shows a bit, or bringing some back at the end of the run, would have been an idea?

Agree it's the sort of thing they should be doing though! Maybe they could slot in more quick runs in between the main shows (like they used to do in the dim and distant past with Sunday evening staged readings)
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#3 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:49 AM

Vicki featherstone is brilliant

#4 Poly

Poly

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:05 PM

Totally agree that Sam Troughton was astonishing. Who would have thought that one of my favourite performances of the year would be in a production only playing five days?

As for the tickets shifting, one of the problems is the pricing: as no production plays long enough to gain momentum, most of the tickets will be sold to people who want to see all of them. And that puts you back almost £100. It would be best if they had started with £15 tickets, or had some variation.

But I do hope they do the whole thing once a year because it feels quite exciting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users