• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#11 Andromeda Dench

Andromeda Dench

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:Er... theatre? Plays, musicals, opera. Classic and modern. Playwrights, directors, performers, designers. Theatre venues. Everything.

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:36 PM

Oooh, I'm intrigued! I also liked the score and would love to see what Menier could do with it. Any casting rumours?
''Fosse believed that, “The time to sing is when your emotional level is too high to just speak anymore, and the time to dance is when your emotions are just too strong to only sing about how you feel." ''

#12 Boob

Boob

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:13 PM

I wonder if Trevor Nunn will revisit it at the Menier, as he did with Aspects of Love.

It's not a great musical (the 'book' lacks suspense and tension) but I'd definitely see it again in another production (preferably one that doesn't make one feel trapped inside a video game - anyone remember Maria Friedman 'walking up the stairs'?)

#13 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:40 PM

yes it was so funny and embarressing at the same time. the train worked well however

#14 Coggit

Coggit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:33 PM

ALW once said (in some documentary that I can't remember - maybe it was the ITV one that was on last year or something?) that one of his biggest regrets was The Woman in White not working, as he felt it should. He said that he would love to sort the script out and give it another try, so presumably if there is a revival, it will be revised.
2013 Theatre
[West End] Shrek****, The Phantom of the Opera***, Spamalot****,The Phantom of the Opera*****, Viva Forever*, Jersey Boys****, This House***, The Book of Mormon*****, Marinda Sings Live! ***** (Booked for: Stephen Ward, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)
[UK Tour] The Phantom of the Opera*****, Rocky Horror Show***, Hairspray****, The 39 Steps**, The Mousetrap***, Starlight Express****, Rocky Horror Show****

#15 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:56 PM

If he is working on it is likely it will happen in the same year as Stephen Ward opens?

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#16 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:59 PM

im not sure how much involvement he would really have, especially as he may have learnt his leason from love never dies in australia and therefore let the new creative team go at it and just ok any score arrangements etc

the story wont change drastically as its based on the book

#17 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1387 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:00 PM

View PostReich, on 11 July 2013 - 02:56 PM, said:

If he is working on it is likely it will happen in the same year as Stephen Ward opens?

It is possible for him to work on two projects at once but I imagine he's not going to as hands on with WIW compared to Stephen Ward. The Menier did Aspects of Love so I imagine he trusts them to do a good job without much of his involvement,

#18 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:15 PM

I think that the show was fine, but the production at the Palace overblown with appalling, dizzying and ridiculous projections. The cast looked lost acting in front of what looked like an IMAX screen. I thought at the time it would work so much better with a smaller cast focused production and could see it working really well at the Menier.

#19 TheatreMatt

TheatreMatt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:51 PM

I liked this show when I saw it in the West End a few years back so would welcome a return. Who would you like to see play the lead role of Marion this time ? I think Kerry Ellis, Sierra Boggess or Joanna Ampil would all be fantastic in this part  I'd love to hear them sing All for Laura.. Thoughts anyone? I saw Ruthie Henshall and Maria Friedman play the part previously and they were both brilliant.

#20 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:45 AM

When I saw it the second cast were in - Ruthie Henshall, Damian Humbley, Alexandra Silber and Anthony Andrews - all of whom were very good, even Andrews who was unfairly maligned at the time.  One of the problems with the show was his role - Count Fosco - a superfluous character who moves through the action as a kind of free-lance variety act having very little to do with the actual story. The rat trick was good though.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users