75 replies to this topic

#31 bickypeg

bickypeg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:37 PM

No wonder you lot are a bit rude about the grey-haired brigade on here!Just babies!Mine on the West End was as a student in 68/69 to see Hair.I think we only went for the nudity but as we were up in the gods we couldn't see much.I wasn't really a live musical theatre fan until my youngest got involved although I always loved films like Singing in the Rain and Top Hat.I remember being taken at 17 to see West Side Story and wishing we'd seen a Hammer horror instead..

#32 Loopyjohn

Loopyjohn

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:41 PM

Cats at The New London for me too, on a school trip - would have been around 1984.  Also fond memories of Chess at The Prince Edward in 1986 and Time at The Dominion in 1986 (both shows with hideously complex sets that seemed to be in vogue in the 80s!)

#33 Halpster

Halpster

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:08 PM

i remember sneaking up town as a teen in the 80s and being in awe at how huge some of the theatres were ! Time at the Dominion ....Chess at Prince Edward...Ziegfield at the Palladium....Barnum at the Victoria Palace..42nd st at Drury Lane...sigh ! i think loopyjohn you may have the prize collared for the earliest memory !

#34 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3378 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:16 PM

surely bickypig wins that so far?

oh and fyi bickypig i never use the phrase 'grey haired brigade' or similar. think its a very patronising and disrespectful phrase

#35 Warmington

Warmington

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:29 PM

Billy with Michael Crawford in 1974 :wub:

#36 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3752 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:29 PM

Mine was 2007 for The Sound of Music at the Palladium. I, in part, have The Lord and his BBC venture to thank for my love of theatre. Before that just a couple of trips seeing The Snowman at the Peacock, but that's more dance.

#37 JaszyR91

JaszyR91

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Everything Musical, Theatrical and Literary!

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:58 PM

My first West End trip was to see the Grease revival in 2007 at the Piccadlly when I was 16, but my first musical was Joseph and I think I was about 9.
Before that I'd seen a few kids shows and stuff.
"And the last remnants time destroys"

My twitter account:
https://twitter.com/imjeanvaljean
Follow me if you want x

Upcoming shows: Pippin (Broadway), If/Then (Broadway), Water Babies (Curve, Leicester), A View From The Bridge (Young Vic), Les Miserables (West End), Birdland (Royal Court)

#38 Eastender

Eastender

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:01 PM

I was on leave from the Navy and a girl suggested we go and see Cats. It had only been on 2 weeks so I think this makes it 1980 maybe 1981. It was sold out so we queued for returns and got in literally as the overture started. And we got 2 seats in the middle on the revolving platform - just about the best in the house. I think they were £29.50 each.
Well the overture started, the lights went out , cats eyes started flashing and we were moving round. Then the whispering - 'The naming of Cats is a dificult matter, it isn't just one of your holiday games ...'  and I was hooked. Well who wouldn't be.

#39 mystifyre

mystifyre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:38 PM

It's so interesting reading everyone's first musicals!

My first musical was a touring production of Cats back in October 2006. It really kicked started my love for theatre.

#40 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

The Lion King in 2005.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users