75 replies to this topic

#41 Viserys

Viserys

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:37 PM

Amazing for how many people it's been Cats and the like. Oddly enough I got hooked on the Cats vinyl recording in the 80s and had to pester my parents for ages to take me to see it.  So yea, Cats here, too - around 1988.

Though strictly speaking my first live musical was an open air production of "Oklahoma!" at Discoveryland in Tulsa/Oklahoma with real horses, carriages and so on. Just didn't get me hooked on musicals yet.

#42 Dawnstar

Dawnstar

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:05 PM

My first West End musical was Return To The Forbidden Planet some time in the early 90s, I can't remember exactly when as I also saw it on tour more than once so my memories of it are mixed up between the different performances. After that I had a long gap until Kiss Me Kate in 2002 then another gap to 2007 when I started theatregoing in London regularly around the time I finished university, having got hooked on theatregoing while at uni in Bristol.

#43 Tettekete

Tettekete

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Interests:Theatre and travel

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:13 PM

I never really had many chances to see any West End theatre up until late 2011, and my first show was Wicked (with Rachel Tucker and Louise Dearman). After that I couldn't resist cheap coach trips down to London every few months to see Wicked (and later WWRY and Phantom). :) My first ever big musical was in Japan though, funny enough. Takarazuka Revue's 2011 production of "Roméo et Juliette" :D
Seen (theatre): Wicked (Scheveningen, The Netherlands x6), Wicked (London x 19), We Will Rock You (London x3), Les Miserables (London x 1), The Phantom of the Opera (London x1), Rock of Ages (London x 1), Romeo et Juliette (Takarazuka Revue, Japan x 5), Studio54 (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), For Whom The Bell Tolls (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), Nova Bossa Nova/Meguriai wa Futatabi (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x2), Nijinsky (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x3), 9 to 5: The Musical (UK Tour, Sunderland x1), RENT in Concert (Newcastle x1), Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour, Sunderland x 1)

Seen (concerts, etc): Willemijn Verkaik "As I Am" solo concert at the AFAS Circustheater (2012), West End Eurovision 2013, Rachel Tucker at the St James Theatre studio, Scott Alan at the O2, Andrew Lippa at the St James Theatre

#44 coddy92

coddy92

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:33 PM

Beauty and the Beast at the Dominion when I was 5...have seen many more since!

#45 kcsevenoaks

kcsevenoaks

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:59 PM

Dr Dolittle at the Hammersmith Apollo - does that count as wend end? If not think it was Chitty

#46 sam22

sam22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:20 PM

Dr Dolittle was one of my first shows too!

#47 tsxmitw

tsxmitw

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:15 PM

Must have been Beauty and the Beast in the West End in about 1997 I think

#48 rodney72a

rodney72a

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:56 PM

A Chorus Line on Broadway in 1983.

#49 JME52K

JME52K

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:08 PM

View Postbickypeg, on 10 July 2013 - 02:37 PM, said:

No wonder you lot are a bit rude about the grey-haired brigade on here!Just babies!Mine on the West End was as a student in 68/69 to see Hair.I think we only went for the nudity but as we were up in the gods we couldn't see much.I wasn't really a live musical theatre fan until my youngest got involved although I always loved films like Singing in the Rain and Top Hat.I remember being taken at 17 to see West Side Story and wishing we'd seen a Hammer horror instead..
  Has it grown on you since? It is my second favourite musical (Les Mis is first) but as a youngster I wasn't that interested.

#50 JME52K

JME52K

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:18 PM

My first musical was Singing in the Rain with Tommy Steele at the Palladium in 1983

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users