75 replies to this topic

#61 dan

dan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:15 PM

My Nana took us to see Phantom just after the first cast change (1988?) and spent the night overcompensating for the fact that it wasnt Frank Spencer. I remember the excitement of a London theatre for the first time aged 13 or 14, (Think I'd only seen the usual touring Joseph before)....the Pizza Hut we went in before was exciting enough. Then visiting my Aunt & Uncle in Reading I took a day trip to London on my own & saw 'Les Mis' and that was that. Hooked. Now I drag my kids to the football matches, theatre & concerts all the time. Live experiences are so much more exciting than television.

#62 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:17 PM

At the front of the prince of Wales cinema in Cardiff and I got ten shillings

#63 Kat1985

Kat1985

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:57 PM

It was Phantom in 2003 as an 18th birthday present.

#64 bradleyconnor

bradleyconnor

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:12 PM

Les Mis. That is all.
Musicals/Plays seen -
2011 - The WIZ (Leeds)
2012 - Two (Manchester), Chicago UK Tour (Manchester), Grease UK Tour (Manchester), Blood Brothers UK Tour (Manchester)
2013 - Billy Elliot (London) x2, Shrek The Musical (London), Matilda (London), Wicked (London), Hairspray UK Tour (Leeds), Priscilla Queen of The Dessert UK Tour (Bradford)
2014 - Les Miserables (London), I Cant Sing! (London)

#65 Eastender

Eastender

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:27 AM

I joined my present company in 1989 (and yes still here) and I started a theatre group. We go around 4/5 times a year only to comedies or musicals. We dont do heavy stuff!! And over the years I guess I must have introduced dozens of people to the theatre and most end up hooked and coming back for more.
Some of our highlights - i.e shows which were enjoyed the most by the group...
Hairspary
Billy Elliot
The Shaughraun
My Fair Lady
Les Mis
Guys and Dolls
Noises Off

And the worst...
The Woman in White
Phantom of the Opera

We are off to Book of Mormon next.

#66 peggy sue

peggy sue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:07 PM

My first visit to the West End was to see Godspell in March 1973  starring David Essex and Jeremy Irons. We had wanted to see Jesus Christ Superstar but couldn't get seats but did manage to see it a few years later.

#67 bickypeg

bickypeg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:03 PM

View Postpeggy sue, on 12 July 2013 - 02:07 PM, said:

My first visit to the West End was to see Godspell in March 1973  starring David Essex and Jeremy Irons. We had wanted to see Jesus Christ Superstar but couldn't get seats but did manage to see it a few years later.
I saw that too!We had a box for some reason and I was convinced David Essex winked at me!But John the Baptist rather stole the show!

#68 kenneth

kenneth

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:25 PM

First West End musical THE KING AND I at the London Palladium in 1979 starring Yul Brynner and Virginia McKenna.....First Broadway musical CITY OF ANGELS at the Virginia Theater in 1991.

#69 alec_e10

alec_e10

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:54 PM

My first West End musical was A Chorus Line in 1977 when I moved to London and I remember seeing it 5 times. Previous to that I had only seen Am Dram Gilbert and Sullivan by my local operatic society in Cornwall.

#70 lilyrose

lilyrose

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:51 PM

for me it was Cats in 1984 for my 13th birthday ........  never looked back : )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users