2 replies to this topic

#1 Parsley

Parsley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:28 PM

I really think the Open Court plays have gone from strength to strength.

This was not as good as Mint (in terms of the content) but the ensemble was AMAZING.

I simply cannot believe what they have managed with only a week of rehearsal.

Some fantastic scenes in this with quick-fire exchanges and nice to see an all female cast.

Lots of funny one liners and better than most stuff on the "commercial" WE stage.

Looks like the last play out of the 6 will be all boys!

For me the RC is now starting to cultivate the same emotions that the NT stirs in me...a place I have to go to and feel magnetically drawn towards.

Cannot wait for the new season proper....already excited!

#2 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2089 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:27 PM

Enjoyed this - needed a bit of trimming which I guess would have happened with a longer run
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#3 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2534 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:19 PM

Surely the most yellow evening ever seen on stage. Why?

I've seen all five Weekly Rep plays so far and I agree it's amazing that some of the actors have created fully rounded characters in such a short time. These actors have given us the most pleasurable performances, although their approach hasn't necessarily contributed best to a full appreciation of the whole plays. Other actors seem to have worked, as usual, to truly serve the play, but of course that's not really a fully achievable outcome in such a short rehearsal and run time. The whole acting ensemble has been extraordinarily brave to take on this Weekly Rep project, and they've all come out of it well, in different individual ways.

On the other hand, luxuriating in seeing the full production of Circle Mirror Transformation cruelly demonstrates the limitations of weekly rep as a form of production.

And designer Chloe Lamford is theatre royalty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users