#1 Parsley

Parsley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:10 PM

Utterly spectacular

After the massive pile of s*** that Joe Wright offered up at The Donmar I was so anxious about this

I am glad I was proved wrong

Superb ensemble, a totally cool soundtrack and music, and the best set I have ever seen at the YV

The play is heavy going and has some flaws but they have thrown everything at it

Truly 'theatre' in the best and widest sense of the term

Run to see this....

#2 theatrejunkie

theatrejunkie

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:49 AM

Agreed

One of the best sets I have seen full stop !! The ensemble were great and Chiwotel was a joy to watch

Have booked to watch it again

#3 Loopyjohn

Loopyjohn

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:00 AM

The seating plan shows tables in front of the stage as well as the usual tiered YV seating. For anyone who has already been - where would you recommend sitting for this one?  Thanks!

#4 theatrejunkie

theatrejunkie

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:06 AM

At Loopy I would suggest N 35-40 if wiling to pay full whack or M 35-40 if yo want discount.Similar views just that N is raked and M isnt

You are in the swimming pool area and you see everythin.Table L is going for £10 which is ok except for the fact that its a little restricted for the action that happens at the very top. I sat there yesterday and that restirction annoyed me as I wasn told prior to booking

I actually sat in M and N post show to decide where to sit for next time so I think you wont be disspointed if you choose those seats.

#5 Parsley

Parsley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:40 AM

I sat in row P (which is the first row of "proper" seating) and paid only £10

Bargain

#6 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5144 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:06 AM

I am annoyed to be missing this. Can't fit it in! Really, people, you should alert me to the good stuff and not let me waste my time at The National.

#7 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:22 PM

Thanks for the seat info...really, really useful! Booked! :)

#8 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:35 AM

Yes, I would recommend row P. Superb view, looked comfier than the plastic chairs in row M and N.

I don't think this is a great play, or even a good play. It's muddled, messy, sprawling, confused, jumpy, and a very broad brush approach to the Congo under Belgian rule. It helps if you have some background knowledge before going in, though the programme is rather informative. It starts off with Patrice Lumumba - eventually the Republic of Congo's first democratically elected Prime Minister - selling beer, and then suddenly jumps to him being at the heights of power. There's no build up, it chops and changes. There are some great choreographic moments and stunning African rhythms, but these do little in the way of furthering the plot. It's not helped by an elder who speaks throughout in the local tongue, whose words are constantly interpreted to us. I can see why they've done this, and it does allow for a shocking ending, but throughout it is often tiresome.

That said, visually it is a feast. Lizzie Clachan has created the best design I've seen in the YV: a dilapidated mansion with dried up swimming pool. And Joe Wright's direction, and his sister's puppetry direction, is incredibly inventive- I won't spoil it, but the way warfare - parachutes, planes, fleeing civilians - is portrayed is extremely clever. Strong performances throughout, v impressed by Chiwetel Ejiofor.

#9 RH1234

RH1234

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 03:17 PM

How much are the programmes?

#10 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

£3 I think, maybe £3.50..... lots of info in them, which I recommend reading before the play.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users