17 replies to this topic

#1 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1662 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:02 AM

Went to the matinee on Saturday. Nice air conditioned venue ( bar and auditorium)  and main house looks much like the Donmar inside.
Play a bit annoying. Much of the first half is one character droning on about why he has arrived and the other telling him to hurry up, it's late and he wants to go to bed. I'm afraid I had sympathy with the later. The second half livens up a bit (and is much better as we get a lot of Maureen) but I struggled with a few changes of pace here and there and found it all a bit heavy going. There is very fine on stage hoovering and sewing. Peggs and I did talk quite a lot about it afterwards and there are plenty of issues (and questions left unresolved) but I was not wildly impressed.
Would be interested to hear what others think, although the theatre was pretty empty so maybe no-one much planning to see this?

#2 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3741 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:15 AM

I was thinking that if Hampstead had put this on, it would have sold out before press night (ala Old Money). The trouble is not that people don't fancy seeing it (Lipman has lots of fans in the older generations, plus me and Latecomer), it's just most people either don't know it's on, or are afraid of going to a new venue.

Oliver Cotton is an actor I like very much, and it's interesting to note that he, with Daytona, is one of several established actors having their debut plays performed this year: Josephine and I (Cush Jumbo), The Herd (Rory Kinnear), Raving (Simon Paisley Day).

I've not booked to see this 'til mid-August, so hopefully sales will have picked up by then, though if the reviews are along the lines of yours, Latecomer, maybe not....

#3 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2519 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

It must be really hard to programme a new theatre because no one knows what to expect or has memories of enjoying past productions there. Very shortly after this run in the Park, Daytona is touring to middle-scale theatres for seven weeks - the Rose in Kingston, Watford Palace, Clwyd Theatr Cymru, Oxford Playhouse, Sheffield Lyceum, Malvern Festival and Theatre Royal Bath. It will be interesting to see which of those theatres' audiences respond most warmly to Maureen Lipman in Daytona.

Cush Jumbo's solo cabaret play, directed by Phyllida Lloyd, sounds very promising, particularly for fans of Josephine Baker. I remember Sisters, Such Devoted Sisters written and performed by Russelll Barr, and supported by Out of Joint and the Drill Hall, which was a perfect show in its own way.

The Herd falls much more in my let's-wait-and-see category, although Howard Davies directing suggests it will have merit, and Rory Kinnear's performance in Rufus Norris's film Broken makes me think that The Herd may surprise us.

#4 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1662 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:49 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 15 July 2013 - 10:58 AM, said:

It must be really hard to programme a new theatre because no one knows what to expect or has memories of enjoying past productions there. Very shortly after this run in the Park, Daytona is touring to middle-scale theatres for seven weeks - the Rose in Kingston, Watford Palace, Clwyd Theatr Cymru, Oxford Playhouse, Sheffield Lyceum, Malvern Festival and Theatre Royal Bath. It will be interesting to see which of those theatres' audiences respond most warmly to Maureen Lipman in Daytona.

Cush Jumbo's solo cabaret play, directed by Phyllida Lloyd, sounds very promising, particularly for fans of Josephine Baker. I remember Sisters, Such Devoted Sisters written and performed by Russelll Barr, and supported by Out of Joint and the Drill Hall, which was a perfect show in its own way.

The Herd falls much more in my let's-wait-and-see category, although Howard Davies directing suggests it will have merit, and Rory Kinnear's performance in Rufus Norris's film Broken makes me think that The Herd may surprise us.

So far the Oxford Playhouse has sold 81 stalls tickets for the Friday night....and this includes 38 tickets in the back 2 rows......where the tickets are a little cheaper! I think audiences everwhere are getting far less willing to part with cash. The exception is when they know they will like something or it is an "event" night out like Priscilla or Legally Blonde when, in Oxford at least, the place tends to be full of groups (workmates and families) all having great fun! This was proved recently when The 39 Steps sold very well at Oxford Playhouse. For plays it  also helps when you are staging a play on the English Lit syllabus or it is written by Aykbourn!

Going to see both Cush Jumbo and The Herd. Good directors for both has tempted me, plus I loved Cush in Julius Caesar and how can Rory not be witty and entertaining?

#5 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:08 PM

Speaking lines and writing lines are two different skill sets.  Having had some experience with actors who think they can write I am very wary and will be awaiting reports before investing.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#6 Alf

Alf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:54 PM

I was going to book for this at the Park, but I noticed it was touring I Watford, where I can get to for cheaper and tickets were only a tenner, so I've opted to see it there instead. Main reasons for going are Lipman and Harry Shearer (my inner Simpsons nerd being revealed there). You're right about Lipman's appeal though, as soon as I mentioned she was in it my mum decided to join me in seeing it.
My occasionally neglected theatre blog: http://thegreatestof...blogspot.co.uk/
Latest post: Review: 'Blithe Spirit' at the Gielgud Theatre: http://thegreatestof...theatre_10.html

#7 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2519 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:54 PM

View Postmallardo, on 15 July 2013 - 01:08 PM, said:

Speaking lines and writing lines are two different skill sets.  Having had some experience with actors who think they can write I am very wary and will be awaiting reports before investing.

Some have been successful at both. Pinter and Shakespeare spring to mind.

#8 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:57 PM

Think perhaps it tries to do too much, it can't quite work out what it wants to say. Plus rather odd timing, starts at 3 so we assumed short, no interval perahps but actually interval and fairly long.

Worth it for lovely Maureen but it is as a long wait for her to appear, think it could have done with some pruning but perhaps it will tighten up a bit, would it be a pity if the audience figures don't pick up.

#9 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, cats and photography principally.

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:16 PM

Seeing it tomorrow. Nice to go to something with little in the way of hype/expectation. And a new theatre.
The engine roared, the motor hissed,
And who could see that the road would twist

#10 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:16 PM

best way to go i think then you might be pleasantly surprised, the theatre is nice too, check out the bar area.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users