17 replies to this topic

#11 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:53 AM

I'm always happy to visit a new venue, but my free time is so limited at present that I inevitably have to miss a lot of plays I'd like to see, so sometimes I do wait to see whether something sounds worth it.  And keen as I am to try the Park, I also noted that this play was later visiting locations nearer to me and cheaper and more convenient.

I have booked for The Herd and Raving, as they fell into my "worth taking a chance now" category (the latter was already quite booked up when I checked), but don't like one-person shows (yes, however good they are) so don't plan to see Josephine and I.

By the way (and yes, off-topic now - sorry), is it just me or do others find one-person shows somehow unsatisfying?  I do like at least a handful of people in the cast.  Same applies to those plays with a small cast who all speak in turn but don't interact, even if the play is about their connections.

#12 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:03 AM

The Park is cute. Needs better bar food but it could become very fashionable, achingly so as the Almeida was once described. When I went it was full of luvvies for first night of Scandal. Dazzled by bright young things was I.

#13 DrP

DrP

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:22 AM

needs a sign to say where to pick up tickets! or maybe it's just me being dim!

#14 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1666 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:17 PM

Reviews are in and a bit mixed (most the dreaded 3*s) . Suggest you avoid reading them if you are going, as most give away at least some of the plot! The Michael Coveney one for Whatonstage gives away THE WHOLE PLOT! I mean every last detail! The whole first half builds up to a reaveal that he just tells us....if I were the actors I would be very annoyed.
Have to agree most with the Timeout one that suggests there are too many stories all wrapped up in this play and only 1 that is any good!

#15 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3752 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:15 AM

I went in with relatively low expectations, but I thought this was excellent. Maybe some re-writing has been going on (I have the playtext, but haven't had a proper look yet), but it flowed very nicely and packed a punch. The premise is not unbelievable, but it is certainly improbable, but it was all the better for that. There were audible gasps as things were revealed. Excellently acted: Lipman has rarely been better, and Harry Shearer and John Bowe are equally good. I think the intimacy helps it (I was front row centre), and I'm not sure how it would play in the larger venues it'll visit on tour.

Great venue, if a touch difficult to find (I took the wrong exit out of the tube!). Lots of seating, good looking bar (though no box offcice- turns out that's at the bar). And fast wifi, which was good as I got there a good hour early. I hope to go there again, but their upcoming programme doesn't appeal.

#16 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:15 PM

Agreed, they need notice in tube to direct you to best exit.

#17 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:32 PM

I too went out the wrong way and did a large lap around the area before finally stumbling across the theatre. In truth though I am always the person that picks the wrong exist, never be fooled into thinking I know where I am going.

#18 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:34 PM

PS also glad this appears to have improved during the run.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users