55 replies to this topic

#1 Alf

Alf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:10 PM

I was having a rummage through my drawer of programmes and started to wonder which West End theatres I've never actually visited and why, so I had a snoop around and found that I haven't been to all but 15.

Aldwych: I'm not interested in seeing Top Hat, but may give Stephen Ward a go depending on responses and prices.
Ambassadors: I may give Stomp a go eventually if I can get very cheap tickets and am in town anyway.
Apollo Victoria: Wicked? No thanks.
Arts: It seems I'm allergic to theatres starting with A, this one is never really on my radar, but imagine I'll get there eventually.
Cambridge: Still haven't seen Matilda but know I really should..
Dominion: I like Queen but this has never really appealed to me or my family.
Garrick: I love eighties music, so probably should've seen Rock of Ages, but not very keen. I'll probably visit when it starts being a playhouse once more.
Lyric: Same as Garrick, not keen on Thriller but would like to see a play there.
Novello: Seen Mamma Mia once and don't need to return.
Palace: Never been anything on there that I wanted to see, plus I hear the balcony is awful. May give Commitments a go.
Playhouse: Not keen on Spamalot.
Piccadilly: Dirty Dancing? Dear god no. Seen Jersey Boys so won't be visiting here anytime soon.
St Martin's: Have actually booked The Mousetrap because I needed a Tuesday matinee and want to say I've done it.
Theatre Royal, Haymarket: Saw One Man with Corden, would like to see a play there one day but again cheap seats in an awful balcony.

So which theatres haven't you ticked off yet?
My occasionally neglected theatre blog: http://thegreatestof...blogspot.co.uk/
Latest post: Review: 'Blithe Spirit' at the Gielgud Theatre: http://thegreatestof...theatre_10.html

#2 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1401 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:28 PM

Its always nice to visit a theatre you not been to before in the case of The Prince of Wales and the Phoenix for me this year, revisiting theatres that you have not been into for a long time, my list of theatres I've yet to visit are:

Apollo Theatre
Aldwych Theatre
Duchess Theatre
Fortune Theatre
Her Majesty's Theatre
Open Air Theatre
St Martins Theatre
Theatre Royal Haymarket
Trafalgar Studios
Victoria Palace Theatre
Young Vic.

#3 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:38 PM

The only two are the Fortune and the St. Martin's.  Given the longevity of their tenants I will probably never see either of them.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#4 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:50 PM

I think I've been to most - the Criterion and Fortune theatre however have escaped a visit thus far. But I assume I'll have them covered by the end of the year!
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#5 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:16 PM

Lots that I haven't been to, but interesting that most of the ones I have appear on the lists above...

#6 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:24 PM

Never Been To:

Aldwych
Theatre Royal, Drury Lane
Cambridge
Prince Of Wales
Lyric
Apollo
Duchess
Fortune
Open Air
St Martins
Theatre Royal Haymarket
Trafalgar Studios
Young Vic
Wyndhams
Vaudeville
Savoy

#7 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, cats and photography principally.

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:06 PM

Ok I'll be the first to admit to visiting all the West End theatres - but over a period of a [cough] couple of decades. My final one to be ticked off the list was the St Martins - also a Tuesday matinee - more to visit the theatre than the production.

Although just thought - NT Shed - not been there yet! Does that count as "West End"?
The engine roared, the motor hissed,
And who could see that the road would twist

#8 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3754 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:16 PM

View PostAlf, on 15 July 2013 - 03:10 PM, said:

St Martin's: Have actually booked The Mousetrap because I needed a Tuesday matinee and want to say I've done it.

I'm there tomorrow for precisely the same reason you state- Tuesday mats. Last time I needed a Tuesday mat I ticked off the Fortune with The Woman in Black. Take note producers.

Not been to quite a few actually: Palace, Criterion, Lyric, Dominion, Piccadilly, Playhouse, Aldwych, Arts, Ambassadors, Cambridge, Shaftesbury. Either they house shows I've seen already elsewhere or I have absolutely zero interest in (eg Thriller Live).

#9 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:32 PM

My ambition is to go to as few West End theatres as  possible but unfortunately I've been to most. Never been to Drury Lane. Oddly I've never been to the Arts.

I bet I've been to some that no-one else has: The Bear Gardens, The Place, The Upstream Theatre Club anyone ?

#10 zyx123

zyx123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:45 PM

Globe does Tuesday and Friday matinees during the summer. Always a good way of filling out the theatrical week. If only somebody did Monday Matinees.

Anyway my still need visiting list is:
Ambassadors
Dominion
Duchess
Lyric
Piccadilly
Playhouse
Trafalgar 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users