#11 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3752 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:27 PM

View Postzyx123, on 15 July 2013 - 07:45 PM, said:

Globe does Tuesday and Friday matinees during the summer. Always a good way of filling out the theatrical week. If only somebody did Monday Matinees.

The Globe is always my last resort- thoroughly dislike the place (I know....).

#12 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:01 PM

I wish I had the time off work to do matinees!
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#13 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1016 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:11 PM

It's probably easier for me to list the theatres I have been in than those I haven't!  I think there are 24 that I am yet to visit, but I hope to tick off at least 16 in the next couple of years (those that currently host or will soon host something I'm interested in), as well as the Globe, Regent's Park, at least one show at the National and possibly the Donmar, Old Vic, and Southwark.  Well, at least I hope my theatre habit will become more regular now I'll actually be living in London!

#14 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:08 PM

View PostEpicoene, on 15 July 2013 - 07:32 PM, said:

My ambition is to go to as few West End theatres as  possible but unfortunately I've been to most. Never been to Drury Lane. Oddly I've never been to the Arts.

I bet I've been to some that no-one else has: The Bear Gardens, The Place, The Upstream Theatre Club anyone ?

The Arts two or three times - really liked Closer to Heaven by Jonathan Harvey and the Pet Shop Boys, starring Frances Barber.

You could quite happily spend a lifetime going to The Place and nowhere else, with its incredibly busy programme, principally of dance but including some theatre. I saw one of Yolande Snaith's shows there and was so bowled over that I vowed to explore only dance and cut plays completely for several months.

Epi (and anyone else), do you also remember the ICA Theatre, the Soho Poly, the Drill Hall?

#15 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:06 AM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 15 July 2013 - 10:08 PM, said:

Epi (and anyone else), do you also remember the ICA Theatre, the Soho Poly, the Drill Hall?
Yes. The fact you list them suggests they are no longer operating ? That news passed me by. At The Place I saw a production of Peer Gynt by ATC who I always regarded as being a superior touring company to the similar Cheek by Jowl - sadly they proved not so long-lived.

#16 EmiCardiff

EmiCardiff

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:59 AM

Without consulting my list of shows I've seen (yes I'm enough of a nerd to have one...)

Some due to long running tennants I have no desire to see/have seen elsewhere: Fortune, St Martins, Dominian, Prince Edward, Prince of Wales, Cambridge (latter two obviously have new shows now that actually likewise I have no desire to see)

Others I have simply just not managed to see a show in yet: Theatre Royal Haymarket, Vaudville, Apollo, Ambassadors.

To my shame I've yet to see anything at the Old or Young Vic.
Blog with occasional reviews: http://fixedpointint...blogspot.co.uk/

Twitter with occasional theatre reviews and general nerdiness: @EmiGarside

#17 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:54 AM

Most WE theatres are pretty well identical so why the excitement about seeing new ones? Why not try fringe venues like the Arcola, the Rose, the St James, The Space (anyone else been there?), the Landor, the Lost Theatre where you are at least guarenteed an unrestricted view of the stage?

#18 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1024 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:05 AM

View Postarmadillo, on 16 July 2013 - 09:54 AM, said:

Most WE theatres are pretty well identical so why the excitement about seeing new ones? Why not try fringe venues like the Arcola, the Rose, the St James, The Space (anyone else been there?), the Landor, the Lost Theatre where you are at least guarenteed an unrestricted view of the stage?

I quite agree

I love the Arcola and just because it’s my local! Also Union Theatre, Wiltons, Young Vic and the Britten Theatre all get my vote.

I haven’t heard good things and the Rose in Kingston but I’ve still got desire to see it

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#19 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:14 AM

View PostEpicoene, on 16 July 2013 - 06:06 AM, said:

Yes. The fact you list them suggests they are no longer operating ? That news passed me by.

The ICA is a multi-disciplinary arts centre and subsequent directors controversially first neglected theatre and then abandoned it. The Soho Poly was replaced by the much larger, purpose-built Soho Theatre. Due to stagnation, the Drill Hall lost all public funding and became a venue for BBC radio studio shows with a very occasional unfunded production attached.

View PostEpicoene, on 16 July 2013 - 06:06 AM, said:

At The Place I saw a production of Peer Gynt by ATC who I always regarded as being a superior touring company to the similar Cheek by Jowl - sadly they proved not so long-lived.

Cheek by Jowl is highly unusual in the longevity of its founders, like the Orange Tree! That ATC Peer Gynt was in its original John Retallack phase. ATC is still active, as an excellent smallscale touring theatre company but, like Doctor Who, it regenerates into a new character with each change of artistic director. Just last month, I saw John Retallack's latest production, an adaptation of Karl Kraus's The Last Days of Mankind, co-directed and co-adapted by JR and Toby Hulse, in the Theatre of Bristol Old Vic where JR is Associate Director (Outreach), with Tom Morris as AD. So, the spirit of Peer Gynt lives on.

#20 zyx123

zyx123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:34 AM

View Postarmadillo, on 16 July 2013 - 09:54 AM, said:

Whose getting excited? It's just a box ticking exercise for nerdy people who like to make lists (like me).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users