55 replies to this topic

#31 EmiCardiff

EmiCardiff

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:25 AM

Good points about Fringe theatres, but as pointed out above this was more of an exercise in nerdiness in seeing which WE theatre's people had visited. Don't forget those of us not lucky enough to live in London don't have the time to visit all the fringe venues, though that doesn't mean we don't! Added to that all the wonderful regional theatres and non-traditional venues that those of us outside London spend more time in. Just because we're (nerdily!) checking off which WE houses we've been to doesn't mean we don't venture beyond...
Blog with occasional reviews: http://fixedpointint...blogspot.co.uk/

Twitter with occasional theatre reviews and general nerdiness: @EmiGarside

#32 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:27 AM

View PostEmiCardiff, on 17 July 2013 - 07:25 AM, said:

Good points about Fringe theatres, but as pointed out above this was more of an exercise in nerdiness in seeing which WE theatre's people had visited. Don't forget those of us not lucky enough to live in London don't have the time to visit all the fringe venues, though that doesn't mean we don't! Added to that all the wonderful regional theatres and non-traditional venues that those of us outside London spend more time in. Just because we're (nerdily!) checking off which WE houses we've been to doesn't mean we don't venture beyond...
It would be useful if you could post a definitive list of what you consider to be West End theatres for the purposes of this exercise - at the moment the scope is ill-defined and is resulting in fruitless digressions.

#33 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:31 AM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 17 July 2013 - 06:50 AM, said:

I've never visited the Kingston Rose. What's this empty pit about? Is it sometimes occupied with either musicians or standing audience?
As noted above it is comparable to the groundlings area at the Globe. When they started in some productions people were allowed to sit (not stand) there on cushions but recently the area has been empty when I have been there, and really the concept of groundlings with its implication of audience interaction is not that appropriate for (say) Miss Julie.

#34 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:52 AM

The sensible thing to do at the Rose is to buy a cheap cushion seat and then sit in the most expensive stalls seat which will undoubtedly be empty.

#35 EmiCardiff

EmiCardiff

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:06 AM

Er I didn't start the topic?! I just joined in what I thought was a fun/interesting discussion about where people had or hadn't visited. So I don't want to hijack someone's thread by demanding definitions. That said, unlike Broadway which has a clear definition of what is or isn't a Broadway theatre, the West End has no such definition, it's loosely defined by geographical area and (taking the lead from Broadway) house size. But as I say no actual definition technically exists.

I actually think it's interesting the majority of answers are 'I can't stand/have no interest in x show so haven't been there'
It's also interesting to those of us who are interested in the physical buildings theatre is performed in...

#36 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:26 AM

Theatres eligible for Oliviers is as good a definition as any. But, as I said, if you're interested in theatre architecture, they're really all much the same. I doubt I'll be particularly amazed by the Cambridge if I ever pay it a visit but I am genuinely interested in seeing inside the Park, for example.

#37 EmiCardiff

EmiCardiff

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:10 AM

A good useful/definition.

Ah but you underestimate me geekiness. Architecture of performance spaces (no matter how similar) is something I'd done a fair bit of work on (I'm currently finishing my PhD) so for me aside from the general need for geeky list making I have the physical architecture and the general history of the building I'm visiting is interesting to me. Whether it's a West End space or otherwise.

Why do I feel like I'm getting the 'blame' for this thread? I didn't start it and I only made one contribution before today?!

#38 Deal J

Deal J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:43 AM

There's a list on Wikipedia that might help: http://en.wikipedia....st_End_theatres

I've just worked out mine and am surprised there are only 3 I haven't been to, I thought it would be much more than that.

The one's I haven't visited are the Ambassadors, the Garrick and the Playhouse. I really must visit the Garrick, the outside of the building looks very grand.

I thought I hadn't been to Apollo Victoria, but it seems I saw Rocky Horror there back in 1999 when Jason Donovan was in it.

Lovely thread for obsessives like myself! :blink:
My theatre blog: http://dealj.wordpress.com

#39 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:02 AM

Don't forget the Peacock Theatre, which isn't in the Wikipedia list. I enjoyed the musical play Wah! Wah! Girls by Kneehigh and Theatre Royal Stratford East there last summer. Also, the Coliseum and Royal Opera House are West End theatres missing from the Wiki-list.

#40 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:24 AM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 17 July 2013 - 11:02 AM, said:

Don't forget the Peacock Theatre, which isn't in the Wikipedia list. I enjoyed the musical play Wah! Wah! Girls by Kneehigh and Theatre Royal Stratford East there last summer. Also, the Coliseum and Royal Opera House are West End theatres missing from the Wiki-list.
Oh there's plenty not on the list - Leicester Square Theatre, Jermyn Street, St James Theatre etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users