#11 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:04 AM

"There is a Sucker Born Ev'ry Minute" – Barnum

I am that sucker - I once paid to see Barnum with Paul Nicholas (?).

#12 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3373 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:41 AM

so did i, i remember the musical being a bit boring, its never been the greatest piece. seeing it in a few weeks to see how this works

#13 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3373 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:41 AM

so did i, i remember the musical being a bit boring, its never been the greatest piece. seeing it in a few weeks to see how this works

#14 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1278 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:23 AM

Oh dear. I'm seeing it Friday night and am still rather looking forward to it.. But won't expect anything now..

I'm sure many of those things can be ironed out in previews.. But I'd gave thought for this (rather old fashioned) show to stand any chance of success in London without a Hugh Jackman or someone in it, that it would need to be a pretty sensational show and all of the circus tricks be pretty dazzling... We are after all in the age of Cirque Du Soleil and the bar has been raised since it was first on..

#15 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1278 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:24 AM

The 'theatre' itself looks pretty impressive though!

#16 Loopyjohn

Loopyjohn

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:26 AM

Me too!  A touring production around 1994?  Before seeing it, I had read about the tough physical demands the piece had taken on Michael Crawford, with a tightrope walk above the audience.  I was a bit disappointed to find that the tour had a short tightrope set up on the stage, a few feet above the ground.  I'm down to Chichester in a few weeks.

#17 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1278 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:29 AM

I doubt you could tightrope walk above an audience now without a safety wire.. Health and safety and all that !

#18 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3749 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:31 AM

View Postcraftymiss, on 17 July 2013 - 11:01 PM, said:

A cast member tweeted today that they'd made even more changes to the show today. Maybe someone who went tonight might have had a better evening.

Did you go Tuesday night? I was there last night (Wed), and as you can see I didn't have a "better" evening.

#19 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3749 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:32 AM

View PostLoopyjohn, on 18 July 2013 - 06:26 AM, said:

I was a bit disappointed to find that the tour had a short tightrope set up on the stage, a few feet above the ground.

That's what this is. I was hoping for a massive tightrope above our heads (with safety net, obv). In the tent it could be done.

#20 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1221 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:51 AM

Interesting reviews. Of course the show is still in previews and this should be taken into account. However, the show was always thin regarding the book, but the publicity material makes a lot of Cam Mack's "revised" version and knowing how "hands on" he is I thought the book might have been fixed for this revival.

I did see the original London Palladium Production with Michael Crawford which was spectacular and as mentioned above covered the thinness of the book. The famous tight rope walk is not essential to the piece although a highlight in the original production which was across the width of the Palladium stage (not over the audience) from proc arch to proc arch and fairly high if I remember correctly. Crawford was amazing in the role - a real tour de force before his Phantom days.

Seeing this production next week. But clearly it seems an opportunity has been missed to incorporate some amazing circus skills into the show and other than tightening, polishing and tweaking I don't expect much change next week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users